chapter 16; unwelcome

Breakfast was awkward. Nora was starting to get used to it, accepting that perhaps there would never be a time her family would sit down for a pleasant meal. Eleanor was still preoccupied with her thoughts and Nora tried not to let her silence affect her.

Charlotte seemed to be in better spirits for some reason and Nora appreciated the temporary distraction. She could hear the men downstairs working while Charlotte chatted away. Pulling away from what was happening downstairs, Nora attempted to refocus on the discussion at the table.

"I can pick you if you want," Charlotte offered.

Nora blinked and replied after a moment, realising what she had been talking about.

"It's a weekday. You'll have work."

"I'll manage," she hesitated. "I was thinking of what to get you but couldn't decide so-"

Nora looked down as Charlotte picked up her purse and began to scramble through it, finally pulling out a green envelope. Reaching across the table, she handed it to her.

"I figured you could get something useful or whatever you like."

She pulled out the amazon gift card slightly and after a moment, tucked it back safely into the envelope. "Thanks mum, you didn't have to."

Charlotte shook her head, dismissively, "It's nothing."

Eleanor glanced at Nora and the envelope briefly before looking back at the table. Feeling a little uncomfortable, Nora straightened up and gave her mother a smile. "Don't worry, you don't have to miss work. We can do something over the weekend or something."

"Okay sure," Charlotte nodded.

Nora placed the envelope beside her on the table and took a sip of her orange juice. Her mouth and throat had been dry since she'd woken up.

Eleanor was the first to be done with breakfast and stood up, carrying her cup and plate to the sink. While she washed the dishes, Charlotte caught Nora staring in her direction.

She waited for Eleanor to leave the kitchen before speaking.

"You know you don't have to stay here if you don't want to."

"I told her I was here for the month until Patrick was done," Nora replied.

"You just seem stressed out," Charlotte explained. "Living with mum is difficult, I'll understand if you want to come and stay with me."

But you're equally difficult to live with, Nora thought but never said it aloud.

"I'll keep that in mind but I think I'll be fine for now," Nora finally said. "Thanks mum."

Charlotte nodded, checking her phone. Nora reclined in her seat and listened to the men working downstairs. She hoped Eleanor could move past whatever betrayal she thought she was feeling. Until then, Nora would keep denying her accusations.

Later that day, Nora lay in bed while talking to Patrick on the phone. He was on speaker so she left the phone on the pillow, next to her head. She lay on her stomach, listening to Patrick ramble on about his final exams.

"And then I should be done," he finished.

"I'm excited for you to come here."

"Me too."

"I'll show you all the places I used to hang out as a kid."