chapter 9; rekindle

Friday arrived sooner than Nora thought.

After breakfast, she found herself looking for clothes in her room for the tea and art viewing Elijah had invited her to. She pulled out several outfits, laying them on the bed one by one. With her hands on her waist, she stared at them, thoughtfully.

She packed them back inside her bag, internally reprimanding herself for choosing clothes that would make her look like she was trying too hard. She didn't want to stand out at all.

Looking at the mint green dress, she decided she didn't want to look too awful either.

She changed after a shower and let her hair dry naturally. While Eleanor cracked a biscuit in the living room, paired with a cup of hot tea, Nora joined her eventually.

"You look nice," she complimented Nora.

"Thank you," she smiled, crossing her leg over her knee.

"Is Patrick coming today?"

"No," she smiled, tightly. "Not today."

"Oh, where you off to then?"

"A friend's invited me over for tea," she answered, hesitantly.

"Lovely," Eleanor nodded, taking a bite of her biscuit. "Remember to take an umbrella, it's supposed to rain later tonight."

"Yep."

"Biscuit?" she offered.

"No, thank you," Nora replied. "Do you want me to get anything on my way back?"

"No, I don't think so," Eleanor said after a moment.

"Alright," Nora said, switching the TV on as to pass the time before she had to leave.

Nora's eyelids glittered as the sun splayed through the windscreen, across the dashboard and into her car. The locket on her neck glistened and she relished the feeling of warmth on her skin. Driving to his house was instinctive to her. She found that she didn't need to check the navigation application on her phone, eventually pulling into the dirt road that led to his place.

His house finally came into view and instantly, memories seemed to flood in. She took in a deep breath and parked the car, collecting her things and finally getting out. She walked up the stone path and to the front door. About to ring the bell, she noticed that the door was already open so she stepped inside.

"Hello?" she called out.

It was freezing inside despite the reclusive sunshine. The stone walls probably kept the house cooler than normal. She walked a little further inside.

"Hello?" she called out again.

The lights were turned off and as she looked around the lobby, she thought about how nothing seemed to have changed. All the little decorations that sat on the rustic shelves were placed the same and the plants, too.

A light flickered and caught Nora's attention. It glimmered in the corner of her eye, making her turn around. There was a light lit in the drawing room.

"Elijah?" she wondered out loud.

When there was no reply, she started walking towards the entrance of the room. Like a moth to the flame, she was curious where Elijah had gone. Perhaps she should have rung the bell, she thought.