14. Vividly Colored Memories

We sit at the beach with our toes in the sand. My eyes still sting from all the crying. The ocean mirrors the beautiful sun setting into the water. I focus on that and not on Aron's worried eyes on me. 

"I'm fine." I sigh after a while.

He looks away from me and rummages through a white paper bag. 

"Here, eat." He says, handing me a bagel. 

"Aron.." I complain. "I'm gonna throw it right back up."

"We'll see about that. Come on, you haven't eaten all day." 

I sigh and take the bagel from him. 

It does smell good. As everything that Aron gives me always does. 

I take a bite and realize just how hungry I was. 

Aron takes out a bagel for himself and begins to eat too. With a big, smug smile, I'm sure. 

We don't say anything. We just eat our food, look at the water and listen to the golden colored waves. 

"You're gonna have to tell me some time, you know." Aron says after a while. 

I look down at the sand. He's right. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. And if he's gonna be there for every single breakdown, it might be a good idea to let him know why I get them. Still, it's not like he's told me everything about himself either. 

"Back at ya." I answer as I play with the sand. 

Aron sighs. 

"You don't wanna know about me. It's best if you don't." 

"Don't give me that. Do you think I don't see you frowning to yourself in pain? I wonder what's going on inside your head all the time. That doesn't feel good." 

"Knowing would feel worse." He answers. 

"Try me." I look into his eyes. 

That same serious frown again. Now watch as he lights a cigarette. 

He sighs and grabs his lighter. 

Told ya. 

"I'll tell if you tell. But you first. You might not want to tell your story after hearing mine." He blows some smoke from his mouth. 

I try to even imagine telling him my deepest, darkest secrets. Just the thought makes me queasy. 

I grab the cigarette from his hand. 

"What are you-" 

 I take a drag.

Then I begin to cough like crazy. 

He laughs. 

"I thought that shit was supposed to be calming!" I give it back. 

"It's not for little boys." He teases. 

I push him hard. 

"Shut up." I laugh. 

He laughs too. 

I play with the sand again. Where do I even begin? 

"I need a drink." I mumble. 

"Here," Aron hands me a beer. 

He really thought of everything, huh? 

I open it with my teeth and take a big sip. 

I feel the warmth of the beer in my stomach and get the courage to start. 

"Okay, well. I guess it all started when I was a kid. I was seven, I think..

It was a new school. My mom had had yet another failed relationship with some guy. And so we moved for the third time. She wanted to move somewhere remote. Somewhere beautiful. Somewhere where people had class and standards. She decided for us to go to Alabama. Because they have great standards.