34. Mind

Aron looks stunning, as always. Wearing a black T-shirt with black pants and white sneakers. He doesn't look real. His golden arms shine in the sun.

"Didn't I tell you not to come?" I say listlessly.

"Well, I figured you'd need the support." He smirks.

I walk up to him and fall into his arms.

He holds me tenderly.

I sigh.

I'm glad he's here.

He drives to my house in my car. I lean against the window and almost fall asleep.

"How'd it go?" He asks after a long silence.

I sigh. "Fine."

He waits for me to say more.

"That's it?"

I nod.

"What'd you talk about?" He asks.

I sigh. "You know, I really don't wanna talk about it. One therapy session's enough."

"I'm just curious."

"Well, how did your therapy go?" I retort.

We made a deal the day after I made the therapy appointment that Aron would get therapy for his crap too. This way I don't feel like such a nutcase.

He doesn't answer.

I look at him and sit up.

"Did you even go?" I ask, agitated already.

He sighs. "I'll go next time."

"Wow. You have absolutely no right to be interrogating me about my therapy when you don't even go to yours!"

"We have different stories, okay? I'm only doing this out of solidarity and you―"

"Oh, so you're saying you don't need it? Are you delirious?" I pull away.

"Well, I'm doing fine, aren't I?"

"Barely! You can barely keep it together when you're anywhere near Chase,"

Aron clenches his jaw upon hearing his name.

"You have anger issues." I say.

"Oh please! I never touched that guy."

"Because I stopped you! You need help just as much as I do! The worst thing is you can't even admit that. You're a fucking hypocrite!" I scream.

He pulls into the driveway.

"I'll go next week." He promises.

"You better." I growl and get out of the car.

I slam the door.

***

It's Saturday. Which means it's time for dinner with Chase, Loren and their dad. I walk onto the pavement of the huge house. How come both their parents are so loaded? Not fair.

While the house where they live is very light and bright, this villa is more warm and familial. It has a cabin kind of vibe to it. The black gate creaks creepily as I open it. It sends shivers down my spine and while it's not the same creak, it brings me back to Neil's house.

Come on, snap out of it. I tell myself.

I take a breath and follow the path of gray gravel to the door. The garden's quite unusual. The grass is uncut and there are wild flowers everywhere. I walk the steps up the porch and knock on the door using the golden knocker.