Chapter 118: Raul vs Reaver

The two combatants circled one another, slowly wading through snow as their eyes locked through their Goliaths. Neither Reaver, nor Raul flinched, each equally anticipating, while simultaneously planning, the next strike. This was a period of analysis, initial blows already having been exchanged, and both side knew it was critical to the outcome of a fight.

For both assassins, this was a strange position to be found in. Their usual task was to efficiently destroy their target in an instant, lunging from shadows to claim a life. A stand-off was a different situation, calling on completely different tactics. They would each need to reach a moment where they could surprise the other, for it would only take a single strike to finish the fight. Two who had mastered the art of the fatal blow would not waste time with punches.

It was Reaver who made the first move, something both had factored into their preparations. The lack of emotion in Reaver would leave him without the ability to pause for thought. He would calculate, logically and rationally, until he found the most effective means, and then he would execute. Reaver's plans hinged on him stepping first; Raul's plans were the same.

Raul's leg shot up into the air, and he quickly brought it down onto Reaver's shoulder, using the opposing Goliath to suddenly lift off into the air. He could have attempted to drive the Ghost down into the ground, but he knew the strength between the two machines was roughly equal, and any time spent connected to Reaver's warmachine was time that Reaver would use to retaliate.

But before Raul could completely take off, Reaver's claw-like hand was gripped around Raul's shin, and the youth was being hauled back down, his Goliath hurtling towards the ground. It was exactly where he had planned to be, and he twisted in the air, turning his upper body to face Reaver. A grappling hook shot out of the Blue Blur's wrist, firing from the underside in another of its hidden compartments. Reaver was gone in an instant, releasing Raul in the air so he could dodge the surprise attack, and it let Raul flip to land properly.

As soon as the Blue Blur touched the ground, Reaver was above it, striking down with deadly precision, a brutal claw aimed straight for Raul's head. The blow passed straight through the fading image of the Goliath, disappearing into the air.

"A unique trick, difficult to master." Reaver commented without sounding impressed or amused. Every movement that Raul exposed, every last second surprise that was pulled out, Reaver simply filed away and used in future calculations. Sooner or later, any opponent would run out of options and the Ghost would secure another kill, as it always did. Raul felt the drop of sweat that had fallen out of his hairline, the one sliding down his temple and onto his cheek. He was on the verge of panting, trying to keep up with the barrage of attacks from the general. He knew this match had a time limit to it, one that was not in Raul's favour if things dragged out.

"I picked it up off a friend."

"That is where you reinforced your weakness as well." Raul could detect a hint of malice in Reaver's voice. Something about the concept of a friend seemed to have triggered something, a minute trace of emotion that still clung to the man's psyche. "It is through connections, through friendship and gathering, that we find ourselves faltering. Over time, our skills erode as we depend on the strength of others. We want devotion, support, recognition, but we neglect our own training, a single-minded pursuit of being the most effective killer."

"And that is why I will lose," Raul finished the speech for his former master, well aware of the teachings the general had once tried to reinforce in a young Raul. "I will not make an argument for friendship, for the power of unity. I have not been a terrific friend to anyone for a very long time, largely thanks to you. But I will stand firm in the belief that a failure brings conviction."