Chapter 36: Enigma Part 2

A day had passed slowly in the laboratory. Syn had watched it go by in his silent, thoughtful way, switching between watching Allyson and watching Leif, his two partners in future crimes. It was an interesting future to be pondering, the knowledge of one's purpose. In a way, he didn't need to know the answer to the meaning of life; he was being given one instead.

It didn't quite sit right though. He liked one part of it. Chaos. The disorder and death and destruction that had to lure out the Jahari but he didn't like everything wrapping up so nicely. Whether it was the Enian Federation winning or the Jahari or any other place in the world, Syn didn't want any of this to come to an end. As far as he was concerned, endless warfare was actually a very pleasurable thing, especially when he was supposed to be killing people.

Some bubbles drifted out of Leif's mouth and flew up through his tube, disappearing into the ceiling. His head twitched and twisted a little, as best it could within the confines of all the apparatuses he was attached to. Leif's eyes were closed though; he was sleeping.

Warning sirens flashed in the room and a pair of workers in the lab coats burst into the scene in a panic. One of them immediately pressed herself up against the glass of Leif's vat to get a good look at what was going on within. The other one began fiddling with different buttons on a nearby panel and the two started conversing rapidly, though Syn couldn't make out what they were saying.

It didn't take long before they had calmed Leif down and in turn, they settled themselves. Looking significantly more composed than when they entered, the two left and the lights dimmed again. That was strange. Syn had never seen any of them making any motions like that before. Oddly timed. Maybe Leif was having nightmares about fighting the Jahari.

The room remained dark for most of the day. Every so often someone would come in to check on the group or one of them in particular, but nothing else happened. That wasn't unusual. In fact, yesterday had been a bit of an anomaly with all those visitors interacting outside the tubes. Normally people came and went but Syn hardly caught a whisper of their words and they didn't give him a second look.

Both Leif and Allyson were sleeping, as they often were. Their younger, frailer bodies succumbed to the different medicines and rugs so much easier. Even when they were awake it was almost in a dream-like state anyways so it wasn't much better. Not like they could talk.

What if they could? Did Syn even have anything to say to the two rebels? He wasn't here for the same reasons as them. It wasn't hard to see that this group had been selected from the criminals the Enian Federation considered to be the most dangerous, but two rebels and a serial killer probably didn't have much to speak about. Though it would have been entertaining if Leif and Allyson were each part of two different, warring causes. That could be fun, depending on how it played out.

It wasn't nearly as satisfying as bloodletting though. The things Syn could do to the human body were sinfully artistic and immensely pleasurable. It was his best form of release and the easiest way for him to play, to express himself.

The lights came on in announcement of new entrants to the room. Syn watched through the warped walls of his confines as a man and his very young son were led in by Jill. She seemed less confident this time. Instead she was a bit withdrawn and saddened, bearing some sort of burden on herself. It seemed too intriguing to pass up.

Syn brought his full attention to the trio coming through, straining ears to listen in on anything being said. Thankfully the group wasn't very quiet and they were coming closer to Leif and Syn, making eavesdropping that much easier. The two adults seemed solely focused on Leif though, with the odd glance around the room and nothing else. The child, on the other hand, still had the reckless curiosity of youth and was scanning the room from top to bottom.

"So you understand the situation then?" Jill asked. Syn was coming in a little late on the conversation.

"Yes, I think I do." There was a sniffle in the man's voice and he seemed to be retaining tears with all the willpower he could muster. "It really is the best option."

"Well, for the crimes Leif has committed, I'm afraid he would normally be sentenced to life imprisonment or exile into the Cult of Enia, and nobody wants to see either of those punishments inflicted on their child."

"No, that's...no we don't..." The man stopped and struggled a little with his words and emotions as they mixed together. His body shook with his breathing as he tried to regulate himself and the little boy at his side pawed at the man's hand inquisitively. "No, we wouldn't want to see either of those things happen to Leif. If there is indeed a way to bring him back for service to the Federation, then we are happy to oblige. At least then he will finally be serving his country and making the world a better place."

"Yes, he promises to be a beacon of hope for mankind and technology, once this is finished. We have your consent then?"

There was a long pause and the man covered his face with his hands, turning away from Jill. The child tugged at his pants but lost interest, his sight catching Leif in the vat and locking on and he waddled over to get a closer look, trying to reach through the glass to the floating man inside. "Yes, you have consent. But please, keep us updated."

"Oh don't worry, we will tell you if anything changes, of course." Jill bent down to the level of the small boy. "Well hello there. You're a curious one aren't you?" She straightened back up again. "Is he your son as well?"

The man nodded and tried to force out a smile towards the child. "Yes, he is."

"Then they are-"

"Brothers, yes. But they've never met each other." The man gave out a snort. "How disgusting, that Leif and Porter never met each other until now, when Leif is hung up like a puppet in that tube." The man tugged the little Porter away from the glass and bade he return to the father's side.

"He seems to recognize the connection. Children are so fascinating that way aren't they?"

"Do you have some yourself?"

"No, I wish. One day perhaps." Jill bent down again and stuck out her finger towards Porter, who promptly grabbed it to examine it closer to his wide eyes. "Quite a curious boy. Who knows, maybe one day he will be serving the Enian Federation as well. Regardless of Leif now, at least you still have Porter."

"Yes," the father echoed. "At least we still have Porter."

A/N: Finally we know what the two have in common! Porter and Sigma are brothers! But what will Sigma do with this new information? Seek out his kin or look for revenge at being abandoned?!