#17 All Good Things Come to an End

"Flames to dust, lovers to friends. Why do all good things come to an end?"

I remember listening to that song as a kid, when everything was normal. When I had parents to love, a school to guide me, a house to shelter me, a fridge to feed me. But there has to be a twist, doesn't there?

Why do all good things come to an end?

Sooner or later, everyone will have to endure the worst, and everything they worked so hard for, or cared so much for, will all come tumbling down.

Disappointed that Santa Clause didn't get you what you wanted for christmas?

Suck it up kid.

We don't even have christmas around here, not anymore. We can't rely on the adults to resolve our problems. We're on our own.

"Do you want to take a break?" Asked Max.

"Yeah, I'm tired..."

"Who cares if you're tired, Arriane? You've seen what they're capable of now."

"Yeah, but they still didn't manage to capture us, Victoria. We escaped," she was right. We did escape.

"You've got a point," I admitted. "But... It isn't credit to us."

"Who is it credit to?"

"Bren." Max butt in.

"Oh. You're right. Sorry,"

"It doesn't matter." I said, Max glared. "Well, it does. Bren is no longer with us right now..." The image of his body flashed into my mind. "But he did it for us, meaning he wanted us to complete our goal of finding Fiona. And getting the hell out of here." A tear slid down my cheek. I hastily wiped it away. "Come on, lets keep on going. We need to straighten things out, and plan on how to do this later."

We hiked for another hour, before stopping for a quick drink by the river. It wasn't very deep, so the banks were quite steep. Arriane accidentally slipped her way in, which resulted in a huge mud stain on her butt. I laughed quietly, for I didn't want to upset Max, who was in the darkest of moods.

Clearly not quiet enough.

"What's so funny?" He asked me, and my smile instantly turned into a straight line.

"Arriane just slid down the bank-"

"Yeah I saw. What's so funny about that?"

"Well she's got a big mud stain on her butt, so-"

"I can't believe you tell us you we don't have enough time for a well-earned break, when you're taking all the time to laugh at Arriane hurting herself." I was shocked.

"Uh..."

"Max, I'm fine. Seriously." Said Arriane from behind me.

"Whatever," he sighed.

"Don't take it out on me, Max. It's not my fault,"

"How cold do you think I am, Victoria?"

"Not as cold as me... And I want it to stay that way." We'd had plenty of fights before.

"Just take your packs-" He began.

"We don't have any."

"And let's go." Max took a giant leap across the river, and began walking again. Clearly he wanted to take the lead this time.

Our journey was a silent and tiring one. No food for seven hours really started to take its toll. We eventually stopped near a cavern for protection, if we had ventured any further it would become too dark to search for food. We hunted together the whole time, and managed to capture a small grey rabbit by digging a hole and covering it with leaves, then placing some berries on top as bait (which could have been poisonous, but we were going to cook the rabbit anyway, which would separate the poison). After all we had been through, it was a well deserved meal.