#15 When everything doesn't go to plan

We waited for 10 minutes, no one had entered the container but we were slowly being elevated.

"Um, guys," started Arriane. "What if we weren't heading straight to Russia." My heart shattered.

"Oh, now that's something we should have discussed-"

"Alright!" I yelled. "We're in trouble, just blame me later, ok? But for now, let's try and solve the problem," We stayed silent for a moment.

"Where are they dropping us off?" Said Arriane.

"I don't know, maybe you ask one of the people outside!" China snapped.

With a loud crunch we landed onto the soil.

"I'm being deadly serious now, shut up!"

The container was unbuckled and briefly searched, let me emphasise on briefly.It was only when they began unloading products that we started to panic. My mind kept on reminding me about the boys inside the other container, they could still be on the ship, we could be abandoned on this island even more isolated than before.

China stayed calm in the top left corner, muttering something to herself. Arriane stared across the room to me, for some kind of resolution. A soldier removed a crate right next to my hiding place. What did I do?

I let the anger within me absorb into my skin, run through my veins. I turned my anger to fierce adrenalin, to power.

I smacked him hard across the face with my fist. He fell back, dazed, and I took the opportunity to kick him near the left kidney. He grabbed his side and I bounced to my feet,

ready to go for another blow.

Arriane half called out to me, "Victoria, they heard you!" And I ushered her next to me. She kicked him in the back of the head, and it lolled to the side. He crumbled to the ground like an old paper bag.

One by one soldiers kept on coming, unarmed and unprepared, we beat every one of them. But after a while it all seemed way too easy. Soon enough, well, they just stopped coming.

China stood behind us, curious on what was going on. Almost as if she had been expecting more.

Arriane cautiously peeped around the wall, then retracted back. Her face was drained of colour, her eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. Something was around the corner, something very bad.

"Reveal yourselves!" A man with a strong accent called. I hesitated as I realised just how much trouble we were in. Cornered.

"Did you not hear what I just said? Or are you that cowardly?" He called again. China walked past me to confront whatever was behind us. She had a mind of her own, unfortunately.

"I, sir, am not a coward. Why, you do not even know me, what gives you the right to judge me?" Said China. The man chuckled.

"Perhaps then, you are not," he paused. "But I do know that there are others hiding behind that wall. Don't be shy, you have no where else to go, my darlings." That was enough. I stepped out to see five rows of soldiers each with a rifle, and a tall slender man with a grey beard and stubble standing in front, glaring.

"Don't. Ever. Call. Me. Darling." I spat. He raised his eyebrow, surprised.

"A feisty one 'ere, eh?"

"You twisted little man."

"Ah, but you see I am not as small as you think." He referred to the soldiers behind him. "I am the Ambassador of Russia, for heaven's sake."

"Yeah, probably the smallest Ambassador ever recorded in history." And that was when Arriane came up next to me.

"Well, all three now I see. How nice of you to join us, Arriane."

"How do you know my name?" She asked.

"Magic," he said. "Santa Clause sent me the naughty list from the North Pole. And two out of three were on it. I must say I'm not impressed,"

"Whatever, would you mind telling us yours?"

"Oh, I am so sorry, I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Nestor, Nestor Silovik. And I don't suppose my daughter has introduced herself properly, I gather?" His daughter? My jaw dropped. She had been acting all along? Collecting vital information from us and passing it on to them? Getting us into trouble countless times, and most of all, contacting Russian forces the whereabouts of our camp, therefore leading to kidnap of Fiona?

China walked over to him, beaming. She then beamed at Arriane and I too, but with not as much heart.

"Father, oh I have missed you terribly! I realise now just how lucky I am to have my own grand mansion with butlers and maids compared to where these scoundrels live on scraps and have to kill dear little animals themselves for food! Shame on them," She supposedly cried.

"That's my girl,"

"Moron." I said.

"China or myself?" Asked Silovik with dismay.

"Plural. Morons."

"Well, that's just too bad. Guards!" Five guards stepped out of line and approached us. I tried to step back but the container was in the way. Arriane held my hand.

"Whatever happens, I'll meet you on the other side." She whispered.

"What? What's that supposed to mean! This isn't the end Arriane! We'll find a way out, I know we will. You just have to stay strong, ok?" Flashbacks of when Max collapsed near Targin Forest streamed through my mind. Stay strong, Bren had said to him. "I promise."Something I would always remember.

"But, but what if-" The soldier pulled her into a chokehold and covered her face with a damp cloth, the same kind of cloth I had almost passed out on near the rocks at camp.

"Stop it! Stop, don't!" I screamed. It hurt so much to see her slump, to see her helpless and limp in the enemy's arms. She didn't even get to finish her sentence. It wasn't fair.

It was a strong chokehold, and I did everything I could to possibly stop it. I had made a promise to Arriane, and I was intending to keep it. I heard the soldier curse a couple of times when I kicked him, struggling to become free. But then it was all just too hard. Yep, that was my heroic excuse. As soon as the cloth made it to my face I was out.