-Penny: Chapter Nineteen-

We’re on our way to meet Chase and Audrey for dinner. This is the “End of Summer Celebration” dinner that Olivia and Gabe used to take the kids out for.

Now it’s Gabe and I taking them out.

I cannot believe summer is over, the older I get, the faster time seems to fly. We left Alexia and Joel at home with my mother, I didn’t want them to be in on the drama that seems to follow us wherever we go lately.

We’re meeting at an upscale seafood restaurant, dinner jackets required. I asked Gabe if this is really a place Audrey and Chase would like and he assured me they both loved seafood.

Gabe requests a table on the patio, facing the ocean. Its salty breeze whispers across my bare shoulders. I should have brought a light sweater, my lemon-yellow sheath dress is a perfect dinner dress, but a little on the chilly side.

I smooth my hand over my chignon, making sure the bobby pins are secure. I feel a little anxious for this dinner, I just want Audrey and Chase to see that we love them both, no matter what.

I look over at Gabe, he looks incredibly handsome in his light blue collared shirt, casually unbuttoned at the throat, with his summer-weight navy linen jacket. He looks a little nervous as well, tugging on his collar, pushing his hands through his already tousled hair. Gabe gives me a little smile, to reassure me, or himself, I'm not sure.

I turn, see a waiter dressed in black and white, waddling like a penguin, leading Audrey and Chase to our table. I take a deep breath, smile and stand up to greet them.

As the waiter steps away, I notice a young man I’ve never seen before, standing just behind the kids. Both he and Chase look quite striking in their sports coats with their hair styled in a modern, slightly messy look.

I look at Audrey and my heart gives a squeeze; she’s grown up this summer. Her wavy hair is long and soft past her tanned shoulders. Her dress is an off-white lace, making her look like a vintage movie star. I wonder if she knows how beautiful she really is.

I see the young man glance over at Audrey and smile softly. He definitely knows how beautiful she is!

“Hi, I’m Benson. I’m Chase and Audrey’s new neighbor.” He holds his hand out for Gabe to shake.

I can see Gabe's  a little blindsided by this boy that is obviously here with Audrey, not Chase.

He clears his throat, hesitantly lifts his hand to Benson’s.

“I’ve heard a lot about you, it’s nice to finally meet you.” Benson says with an open and welcoming smile.

“That’s funny, I haven’t heard a thing about you.” Gabe narrows his eyes slightly at Benson.

I try to jump in to avoid any conflict but Audrey steps forward and says, “Well, what do you expect dad," the word “dad” drips from her mouth with sarcasm. “When you’re not around the whole summer, all kinds of things happen. Without you.”

Benson lays a hand on her shoulder and squeezes gently. She takes a deep breath, yanks out a chair and sits down.

“It’s nice to see you, Audrey.” I turn and hold my hand out for Benson, “It’s so nice to meet you, Benson, I’m excited to get to know you better.”

I look at Gabe, give a gentle warning with my eyes, as he turns to Chase. Gabe hugs his son, but Chase’s arms stay limply at his side.

Benson sits down in between Audrey and Chase; Gabe sits next to Chase and I’m next to Audrey.

Audrey's hands are in her lap, fisted tightly together. Chase gazes out at the ocean, looking at something I don’t see, or maybe searching for something.

Seeing him up close, he doesn’t look so good. His undereyes are bruised and purple-ish looking, like he hasn’t slept. His cheeks are sharp and a bit hollow. He looks like he’s on the verge of breaking down.

Benson has his menu open, asking Audrey what’s good here.

Gabe says, “I know you guys like seafood, order whatever you want.”

Audrey looks up at her dad, scowls and says, “I'm vegan now, so I’ll just have a salad.” Benson looks over at her, a question in his eyes.

Chase looks away from the sunset, “You’re not vegan, Audrey.” He looks over at his dad, “And who cares if Benson's here with us, he’s a good guy. Life is stupid, you know? Why do you care anyway, dad? You’re never around, and when you are, you’re just a jerk.”

He says these things completely monotone, without expression. It honestly would have worried me less if he'd shouted.

“We need you and mom, but neither of you are even there for us, you’re both just stuck in your own little worlds.”

Chase looks at me when he says that last part. Gabe sits there, not really knowing what to say. His eyes full of sadnees.

I stand up, go over to Chase, putting hand on his shoulder, I fold him into a hug. I can feel him wanting to give in to the comfort, but he stands up, shakes my hands off and walks away.

 Audrey stands up and looks at me, “Don’t try to be a mother to him, Penny, we already have one.”

“Don’t talk to Penny that way, Audrey, be respectful.” Gabe says, as he stands up beside me.

“Respectful? I’m not sure you know what that word means, dad. It wasn’t very respectful of you to leave our family high and dry.” With those words thrown our way, she leaves the table.

Benson looks at both Gabe and I apologetically, “Sometimes families can be hard, but it's always worth coming back to fight for, even if it feels like you're getting the crap kicked out of you time and time again.”

Benson makes his way out of the restaurant. Now it’s just Gabe and I standing there next to the table, the ocean singing us a soft lullaby.

“Well, Benson seems like a very mature, sweet young man. I like him.” Gabe looks at me like I’m crazy, I just smile.

“What Benson said is true, Gabe. Family is worth fighting for.”

Gabe puts his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close. “I love you, you know that?”

I lay my head on his shoulder, “Yeah, I do know.” I look into Gabe’s stormy grey eyes, “It’s going to be a hard road, but I’ll be right here with you.”