|13|

Neglecting coffee ahead of this meetup was not an option. This vehicle - being me - ran on the beans and fumes of caffeination, so though turning up 90 mins before agreed might sound strange to some, I was making it my most productive instead.

Ryan had restricted me to just one cup and a slice of avo on toast so I wasn't too amped prior to catching up with a friend. He didn't even require an ounce of convincing to restrict my intake, in fact as he put it I could get a bit too excitable if I pushed it beyond three cups at this hour. Would he have poured ten and left me to my own devices had he known which friend I was meeting? I had no doubt.

Nestled in close to the window seat of the boothed table with paper sprawled, I proudly took stock of the progress I'd made this morning through my workload. 3 cases summarised and a decent (and delectable) chunk bitten out of my daily reading requirements.

"So I know this isn't a date - because of the venue obviously - but you do know this isn't a study date right?" A voice carried above me and I turned to meet the steely eyes I'd been waiting for.

A roving glance disguised as my head adjusting to Iggy's height drank in his comfy attire. A dark hoodie adorned his broad top half, while casual chinos covered the rest of him.

I paused for a moment more and carried my now lingering eyes over his face, a mischievous smirk sat front and centre while his eyes glowed with an air I couldn't quite place.

Before he called me out for blatantly ogling until my drink lost all residual heat, I glanced away. Swiftly, as if my work had suddenly become more interesting. When in reality I knew my mind was elsewhere for the day. at very least.

"We're crystal clear on that, I just came early to power through some work." I added politely looking at him once more, briefly in comparison to my voyeurism before.

"Of course you did, wouldn't expect anything less. May I?" Gesturing to the seat on the same side as me, boldly so but in a manner that didn't make me question how close he'd be until he was in my periphery peering over my work to date. An earnest look now, as if declaring his intentions as above board. For the imminent future.

My reply caught in my throat, taken aback that he wanted to snuggle booth side already, not two minutes in. Sure, maybe I was exaggerating on the snuggle front but I knew it was a disarming tactic. One that had wilted me to a lovesick puppy before our orders were even taken. Packing up my notes as I nodded and willed my throat to rid itself of the tension I felt.

Clearing the table signalled to Iggy the green light to move in, but prior to joining me on the padded seating he tugged his hoodie over his head.

Arms outstretched tall, a wriggle freeing himself from the neckline and a sliver of taut skin revealed as his shirt rode up ever so slightly. A V, the V that hinted at more, a scale of indents littered just above I was certain, thanks to the shadows cast.

It was a sight to be adored and one I hadn't expected, rendering me all but speechless once again. And tinted with the rosiest of hues that reached the top corners of my ears with heat and colour.

Sliding in next to me and adjusting his crisp white tee for comfort, Iggy threw an arm around the back of the booth for good measure. If good measure were making my heart rate skyrocket and that rose-hue reach new flushed heights. Who was I kidding, it was far closer to beet now.

My extremities tingled in response as Iggy looked me over in this new position. A brief look down to my lips before the smirk I'd encountered upon arrival returned.

"Are you laying all your moves on at once, Vallis?" I tilted my head in challenge.

"I see it's working then, Marckes." Turning his head to maintain maximum eye contact, his body twisting ever so slightly so his position in the booth mirrored mine.