|23|

"Good morning sunshine." a voice rang out bringing me from a tequila-tinged slumber.

Whatever wonderful place last night had landed in, the hangover was still serrated-sharp.

Spilling over to the other side of the bed and looking towards the door I spied Summer and Jasper beaming over me like eager parents.

"Look at you two in a post-sex glow haze," I grunted covering my eyes with my forearm lazily.

"You haven't even opened your eyes yet, how the fuck would you know that?" Jasper replied with a little surprise.

"This hangover, unfortunately, doesn't allow for a mute button, amongst these bark thin walls friends." I groaned much to their coy reply I was sure, but again I held my eyes tightly shut so not a peep more light than necessary crept in. And I could stay dreaming, resting.

"Voyeur tendencies aside Harper, it's 11am and we're making coffee. And you owe us a big, juicy, explanation for sucking face with Vallis last night after he ignored your existence." Summer sat on the bed beside me as her vivid retelling hit my ears.

Cracking one eye open at a time in response, her airy smile calmed me a touch. But I could tell she was saying exactly what she needed to get me up. And it was working.

"I see you chose violence this morning and I'm up." I rolled upwards and tossed the mess that was my hair to one side. My eyes now capturing Jasper lovingly stroking Summer's shoulder and peering at me. Their affection hit a little different today after last nights roller coaster.

I'd gone from hopeful to wistful, confused to hurt, downtrodden to confused and shot right back up to elated. And maybe that's why the hangover felt a little less head bound and more emotionally laboured. Nothing the ding of my phone notification couldn't remedy.

Half asleep my eyes widened immediately knowing I had a second if that to snatch my phone before it was read aloud by the mischievous lovebirds beside me. But their reaction time too quick and I should have surrendered to the near to be surgeon and sport star being far more agile. Snatching the phone from my bedside table with a gleeful smirk, Summer held it high above as I scrambled up from horizontal. Dressed in a baggy, old football jersey I'd been gifted by Miles restricted my resistance further. I was pantless and had to stay put while Summer and Jasper read the message meant for my eyes only.

Summer squealed with delight and spun the phone around for me to see Iggy's text. Jasper quirking as if to omit his approval for the message.

Iggy

Good morning, how's the hangover head? I'd love to see you today, are you free for lunch? x

Not giving me a moment to soak it in before she scrolled upwards with the stolen device. Summer's mouth widened and eyes brightened, and I knew exactly what had brought on this reaction. She was reading a couple weeks worth of one-sided messages from Iggy. A persistent, polite stream of texts that I'd barely replied to, liked on occasion, tossed a haha reaction to and far too often ignored for fear of what to reply. Or that bigger, broodier cloud of fear full stop.

Iggy

Last night was rough and I'm sorry for how things went down. I never want to make you feel claimed alright, please let's talk about it.

Iggy

I know you don't want to talk but at least let me know you're ok

Iggy

Hope this space is what you needed H and if it's not, please call me.

Iggy

You weren't in class. Everything good?