Prison

Even though Phoebe and Sam don't think there's a reason for us to need him, we head back to Germany, this time Berlin, so I can talk to Zemo. We arrive at the prison and are being shown down a corridor by one of the higher ranking guards, "he's just through that corridor," the guard looks back to Sam, Phoebe and I.

"Give us a sec," I turn to Sam and Phoebe as the guard continues on. "I'm gonna go in alone."

"Uh, no you're not," Phoebe crosses her arms.

"Why?" Sam looks me up and down as he puts his hands in his pockets.

"Because you're Avengers. You know how he feels about that," I shrugs.

"It's not like you two were known for frolicking in the sun together."

"He was obsessed with Hydra. We have a history together. Trust me. I got it."

"He doesn't know me, so he doesn't know I'm an Avenger. I'm going with you," Phoebe shakes her head.

"Phebs, please. I'm asking you to trust me."

Phoebe signs as she nods, "fine."

"Thank you." The guard leads me the rest of the way down the corridor and as we get deeper into the building it begins to get darker. The guard speaks his codes to the camera to get us further in and the door buzzes, opening. The guard doesn't come with me into this room. I can see walls that have what looks like softened barbs sticking out of them, a glass door and wall, as well as a rectangular ray of light on the ground, in which are Zemo's feet and hands. As I walk up to the glass he begins to speak in Russian, listing off my previous trigger words, "longing. Rusted." He stands revealing his face, "seventeen."

I just shake my head, responding in english, "those days are over."

"I know. I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to the old words," Zemo walks up to the glass, looking over me as if he's studying me. "Something is still in there. But something has changed."

"Not that it's any of your business, but I met someone. Someone who's actually good for me."

Zemo looks down for a moment before looking back to me, "at least you were not conscious for most of your imprisonment."

I  speak calmly and quietly, "that time wasn't exactly a picnic."

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry. It was never personal. You were simply a means to a necessary end."

"Someone is recreating the Super Soldier Serum. I need to find out who."

"You are assuming Hydra has something to do with this, which is why you came to me, which means you are desperate. Luckily for you, I know where to begin."

"What're you reading?" I glance down to the book in Zemo's cell.

"Machiavelli."

I nod, "I've heard there's a surprise ending." I hit that I had paid a guard off to give Zemo a key to get him out. Which is why I didn't want Sam or Phoebe here with me.

"Is there?"

I shrug, "I don't know. I'll be in touch with you soon." I turn and leave Zemo alone in his cell. As I leave I toss a note I had written to one of the prisoners, well not so much to as at so it isn't caught. All that matters is that it starts a fight as it should. I had a plan that I knew Sam and Phoebe would protest, breaking Zemo out.