Chapter 2 - Encounters

It was a beautiful grand evening and the girls were as prepared as can be. The halls were filled with men in suits and women in gowns just walking about, mingling tirelessly as the grand chandelier smiled above them all. The walls were towering above them, they have never seen the central hall like this before. Margie was wearing the soft white dress with the ribbons as she walked down the right side of the large main stairs of the mansion. 

Then, Sonya came following in her beautiful purple gown with the amethyst pieces dangling about. The two girls gave nods, jests and giggles at the brief glances they made to each other. And somewhere in the crowd, stood two young men who had just been looking at Sonya and Margie coming down the stairs.

"Tom, I take it that you know these young ladies?" One of the young men in a beige suit asked his friend, tapping him with his knuckles.

"Well, I don't... really know, Arthur..." Tom was dumbfounded. He thought he'd never see a fresh face in these parties ever again. As he's been with almost every beautiful maiden who have had ties in the royal councils, he couldn't believe his eyes. Who were they?

This was his chance. Maybe he'll find a match, finally.

Thomas Hayden, or in this case Tom, wore a dark navy blue suit and had a strong fit figure. Well, what can someone expect from a General's son. He had slicked back black hair and a strong jaw. His eyes were intense. He had a strict stride.

As for the other young man, Arthur Creek had a skinny figure and yet exuded a most carefree charismatic presence, his eyes as blue as sapphire gems and he had wavy brown hair. The way he stood was like a classical statue's pose and his gestures have caused stirs in the many small groups of young women.

"Well, I'm sure they will enjoy our company." Arthur grabs Tom and strides over finding the two women in the crowd.

Meanwhile, three young women were somewhere in the crowd watching Tom and Arthur. One in a simple but well-made baby-blue dress decided to say something.

She was Jane Sousens, a fresh face to the scene. She had been brought up in a village orphanage and then had been adopted into the Sousens Household. Her father was Count Pears' new family doctor. She had a very demure disposal and a very simple looking face. She had her brown hair done in a beautiful braid.

"Anna, do you suppose they are looking for the girls?" She said.

"I admire your naivete, Jane. Of course, they are. They go after every new lady they fancy." Anna took a sip of her wine glass. 

Anna Tudor was a prodigy. Not only did her intense almond eyes, sculpted cheeks and fox-like demeanor serve to impress everyone, she was also known for her skill in the arts.

But no one knew of her and Arthur, no one. The kisses in the bush mazes, in the storage rooms, and in the study. Despite him running after every other girl, she knows she has conquered him. In a way, at least.

And now, she could only watch in her olive green dress, as her lover races after another. She was not surprised.

"To be rejected I hope..." The third lady in a red satin gown said, with clenched fists.

She was Miranda Swanson, Tom's betrothed lover whose love is unfortunately unrequited. Her fair complexion and her blonde hair served to charm his parents, but apparently not him. She had been the one to make advances instead when they found time alone and only when the parents or other people were around would he make an effort to make her happy, in the very least.

They all stood there, looking at all the romantic pursuits budding all around in the crowd while theirs remained in odd positions.

"Good evening, ladies. I'm seeing see fresh new faces."

And there they were, Tom and Arthur in front of Margie and Sonya.

They all curtsied at each other. Margie stifled a giggle and then composed herself. "It's a pleasure to meet you, sirs."

"May we get to know the rather charming company that stands before us?" Arthur said, armed with charm.

"I am, well, Lady Margaret, daughter of the, ah..." Margie stammered.

"The Baron of Duscania." Sonya continued. "A very faraway nation. In the north, might I add."

"And you?" Tom asked. His intense eyes locking into Sonya's eyes. He extended a hand, palm upwards, towards her.

"Lady Veronica, one of the many daughters of Count Harold. Freeman Isles, it's a beautiful place. You ought to come have a visit," Sonya said, placing her hand on his.

"You are extremely well-spoken," He kisses her hand and Margie squealed in excitement.

Sonya laughed and then replies with "All in a day's work. Oh, but we must not go on talking as strangers now. Give us your grand introductions." She walks over to Margie and whispers in a hoarse hushed tone, "This isn't supposed to happen, Margie."

Arthur begins by saying "Well, with such 'graceful' interactions..." A remark to which Margie had to stifle another giggle at. He smiled at her, to which she is struck with utter infatuation. "How could I deny you of my name? I am Arthur Creek, only son of Count Magnus Creek from West Chevalons. I would be honored to have you visit our estate."

"And I am Thomas Hayden, son of General Richard Hayden. We are very pleased to meet you."

"Forgive me, for cutting this encounter so short, but  I just remembered we had someone to meet right about this moment. Now, if you please excuse us." Sonya said. Waving away at the two young men, Sonya takes Margie away.

"Why did you do that?" Marge said under her breath.

"We have to talk," Sonya responded.

Sonya took Margie away into the distance and out into a garden. The night sky flooded the garden with a rich deep indigo and the moon seems to laugh at them both. The stars twinkled at them like diamonds.

"A General's son! How exciting! Isn't it, Sonya? I mean Lady Veronica? Hahaha!" Margie said.

"Oh Margie! I can't do this!" Sonya said, honding Margie's hands and shaking the vigorously. "We're bound to be caught somehow."

"Oh, but how on earth did you play along so well? I was convinced you were an actual Lady Veronica!" Margie said.

"I steal books from the study sometimes." Sonya hesitantly admitted.

"Another revelation!"  Margie gave a sigh, "So what, it's just one night. Remember? We'll just disappear!"

"Disappear... Disappear..." Sonya repeated the words like magic chants.

Suddenly, they see a girl in a pink dress right at the open door to the mansion. She gasped. "Margie? Sonya? Why are you in gowns?"

Margie and Sonya take a good look at the girl and back at each other to say in unison, "Louisa Pears!"