Chapter 7 - In Need, Indeed

"So..." Tom says.

"... So..." Sonya looks him in the eye.

Warmth radiating from the fireplace in this grand room, it gave a certain light to their faces. Tom couldn't help but notice her. It was like a bronze statue was brought to life. Beauty, he thought. Though, he knew there was more to it. Was it the way she talked? The way she straightens herself at certain moments? Her mind? All he knew was that he wanted all of her.

"Lady Veronica, I'm sorry for what happened at the foyer-" 

"We all know it is me who should be apologizing. Don't patronize me, sir." Sonya interrupted him.

"I'm just smitten by you, that's all." Tom leans in closer.

Sonya bit her curling lips and a hot red blush filled her cheeks. She smiles, her eyes crinkling. Such words had caught her off guard. A hand, she didn't notice her hand has been raised to cover her mouth. 

Her eyes catch a good look at his expression. Longing. His intense gaze at her seemed to grasp her. She is captivated but quickly composes herself, taking the hand to softly press against her cheek. Her expression slowly changing to one of regret.

'I'm only a maid,' she thought.

"I'll have you know, you have captivated me from the very start."

"Tom, I don't know."

"May I know if you feel the same way?"

Sonya's eyes widened. Of course, she did fancy him quite a lot but she hardly knew him that well. With a long deep breath and a sigh that lasted as long as it could, she displayed reluctance. Rightfully so, for she can't have him. Her thoughts paced about. 

"I'll be honest. My answer would be 'not yet'." Sonya said

"So there's a chance?"

"Yes, Tom, I like you. I really do, but we've just met."

Tom sat back with a hint of embarrassment. He was rather quick to his pursuit. Suddenly, they apologized almost in unison and shared a look, a giggle. 

Then a pensive silence occurs with a gradual silence from the awkward laughter. A thought brews in Sonya's mind. 'Tomorrow, I'll be gone.' She stood up and walked over to Tom's side and she lays her head on his shoulder. What a rash decision, she thought, but she was more than willing to spend this moment like this.

"Tom."

"Yes, Veronica?"

"Can I hold your hand?"

His fingers slowly locked with hers. Tightening, she could feel warmth. They silently rested on each other with the cackling fire and the restless warm light cast upon them. He softly laid his head on hers and they could feel each other's sighs.

"Like a couple in a cozy house, in the meadow?"

"Haha, with kids and a little dog?"

"Hahaha, and I'll be knitting some socks and you'll just be reading some book."

Quite an image, she thought. It was strange how comfortable she felt with him. It's almost too good to be true.

Tom sighs. "I like that future. I like it very much."

Sonya straightens up at this remark, rendering Tom surprised. 

"But you're a general's son. Surely, you'd consider walking his footsteps."

"I hate it." Tom leaned forward with a scowl. "Besides, I have a brother and he's very eager."

Sonya followed his action, leaned forward and met him eye to eye. It was a childlike gesture, one that placed a smile on Tom's face. Laughter filled the air until suddenly, the door opens. A lady in red, Miranda.

Emotionless was what Miranda had to be, hiding the envy in her heart. She looks at at Tom and then to Sonya. 'What an awful sight,' she thought. Despite her efforts, a hint of sadness filled her face.

"Sorry to interrupt," she said as soft as she could.

"What are you doing here, Miranda?" Tom asks, almost quite harshly.

"Looking for Arthur. What are 'you' doing here?"

"We were discussing with the count-"

"I know what the discussion was, how else would I be here?"

She slams the door, closing her in with the sweet lovers. With a pained look in her face and a shake of the head, she couldn't stand it any longer. 

"Tom, if you don't love me just say it!"

"I don't love you, Miranda!"

It was like the world was caving in on her. 'I got what I asked for, but why is it so shocking?' she thought. A firm grasp of her red skirt's fabrics could not even offer her the comfort she needed. Hurt more than ever, she ran and opened the door and, on her way out, smashed it shut. 

Now, it was all just silence. Sonya looked down from hearing all these things.

"I'm sorry for that," Tom said.

Sonya stood up and gave Tom one look. Tom had his arms cupped under his lips, with a look of utter embarrassment at her. Taking a step closer to the door, she curtsied.

"I think, I ought to leave now. Lady Margaret would be waiting for me."

Tom wanted to grab her hand and beg her to stay. For who else could bring him joy other than her. He didn't want to lose this opportunity. 'Sonya' the name swirled across his mind. He was in need of saving, he believed, from Miranda who he didn't love. He was in need, indeed.

But he let her go.