Chapter 1

Harry is on a bad date when he gets the news. Granted, if it had been a good date, it would have become bad thanks to the news. Thinking about what-ifs is redundant, though.

He has a mouthful of linguini when his phone rings. He ignores it at first, not because of riveting conversation but out of politeness. Usually, his phone is on silent when he goes out anyway - he hates being the guy taking business calls during a meal. But with plans in the works for a band reunion, he's had to make certain accommodations.

It rings again, and this time his date gives him a pointed look. Harry huffs, pulling his phone out to see it's his manager calling.

"Probably should take this," he concedes, unlocking his phone. It's at his ear as he mouths to the man opposite him, "Sorry."

"You alone?" His manager, Jane, says in greeting.

"Uh..." he looks at his date, who seems more interested in his steak than who Harry could be talking to. "Sort of?"

"Okay, I guess that will do. You're going to want to be alone to hear this."

Harry could feel his stomach drop. "What is it?" He asks in a low panic.

"No, nothing like that," Jane quickly amends. He feels himself relax. He doesn't know why his manager would call if there was a family emergency, but it doesn't stop the irrational fear from rising in his throat. "But not good either."

"Okay..." Harry pauses. "Well, what is it?"

"It's about Louis."

Silence. Harry can physically feel the way his heart rate quickens at the name. No need to explain further, the single word has him rising from his chair and finding a place outside of the crowded dining area.

"I'm almost afraid to ask," he says, eyes squeezed shut. He stands between the hallway and the entrance to the kitchen, the low hum of people's conversations quieting.

It isn't the first time his manager has mentioned Louis, considering their history, and everything with One Direction on the horizon. He hasn't seen him in years.

And still.

In the split second, it takes for Jane to answer, Harry's mind does somersaults. Louis dropping out of the reunion. Louis bad-mouthing him to the press. Louis engaged. He's not seeing anyone though, is he? God, Harry doesn't remember.

"Okay. How do I put this lightly?" Jane is a great manager, but she's always been terrible at delivering awkward information. "There's a video. Of the two of you."

Harry freezes. That is not what he expected. If this was a few years ago, it would be a different story. Before the band broke up, before he and Louis broke up, they were constantly on edge about this sort of thing. They had a contingency plan for every possible scenario - being seen in public, being photographed or filmed - anything that could out them. But Harry's been publicly out as bisexual for a while now, not seeing Louis that entire time, and he forgot what it was like. He forgot the pain in his chest.

"It's nothing crazy. Not a sex tape or anything. Wait, please tell me you don't have a sex tape?"

"We don't have a sex tape!" Harry hisses under his breath, cheeks going red. Even if they did, neither of them would have kept it after the break-up.

"Good, good. Just checking." Jane laughs nervously. "Anyway. It's a video, I don't know how old but it's... not great. You're very... friendly."

"Jesus Christ," Harry mutters, holding the bridge of his nose. He didn't even bother asking if she was sure it was them. She wouldn't have called if she wasn't. "How friendly?"