Chapter 12

On the night of the 31st of December, Harry and Louis climb the elevator to the top floor of the Sky Garden. It's the first time they've seen each other since Christmas Eve, and there's a strange, almost shyness in the air. Before Harry has time to really think about it, the elevator beeps and opens onto the top floor of the skyscraper.

Immediately, they're struck by the 360-degree views of London's setting sun. Everywhere, Gemma and Michal's friends and family spill out into the space. Some sitting by the bar, others laughing and standing beside the array of ferns and tropical plants that dip out over their garden beds. A couple of them are out on the outdoor observation deck, smoking and mingling.

"Holy shit," Louis curses under his breath as they walk through the entrance hall and out into the expansive, open-plan indoor garden and viewing platform. Their shoes tap gently on the slate tiles, light bouncing off every panel of glass from wall to ceiling, creating geometric shards across the room.

"You've never been before?" Harry asks, eyes trained ahead to the spectacular, limitless views of the London skyline. Directly in front of them, the Thames and the Shard standing impressively against the backdrop of fading daylight.

"No." Louis shakes his head, staring up at the glass ceiling as the darkening sky glints through. "I mean, I knew there was like, a bar and a bit of a garden up here, but I didn't realise..."

"Yeah, pretty cool, isn't it?" Harry says. "S'like... one big massive greenhouse."

"38 stories high," Louis remarks, looking back behind them, where they just came through, and above it, where full-height trees shoot up into the sky. On either side are sets of impressive stairs that go up to the second viewing platform, full of lush greenery and views of the other side of London. Along the staircase at different intervals, there's mini landscaped gardens with pebbled stone floors. The third and final platform is a glass box suspended above them; a second and more intimate, atmospheric bar.

Besides planter boxes of flowering African lilies, standing tables decorate the space, people leaving their flutes of champagne on them or leaning against them while they chat. A champagne tower dominates the centre of the room and waiters duck in and out of circles, refilling every glass. The whole thing is Gatsby-esque, as if a return to the 20s this new year has brought about a resurgence in elegance and opulence.

"Exactly."

"I don't know where to look," Louis laughs, turning on the spot. He stares up at the ceiling – two stories high – at the curved roof and glass that reveals the oncoming night. Not a single part of the infrastructure obscures the panoramic view. "So fucking sick," he says quietly to himself, and Harry smiles so wide he thinks it might start to hurt soon. "Gotta show this to Nialler and Payno," he adds, taking a quick snap and sending it.

The group chat has been alit since Boxing day when tickets went on sale for the reunion tour. Unsurprisingly, every show sold out in record time – literally, taking out South Korean boyband EXO for the top spot. When Harry looks at the numbers, an unimaginable 250,000 tickets sold in 0.2 seconds, he's reminded just how fucking cool his job is. Liam keeps sending screenshots of people's tweets, and even a viral TikTok of a fan crying hysterically about missing out on tickets. Louis doesn't hesitate to find her contact information and sends her V.I.P tickets to the show in her city. Those fortunate enough to grab up tickets haven't shut up about it, and Harry's mentions are even crazier than they were when the video leaked. Sometimes he enjoys lurking in the hashtag, randomly liking people's posts if they make him laugh. It's pure chaos.

Anne spots Harry and Louis first, rushing over with a massive dimpled smile on her face. She looks beautiful, dressed in a flattering black lace evening dress with red-stained lips. It's flowy and witchy in the best way. Robin trails behind, ruddy faced and grinning, clearly already tipsy.