Chp 5: In The Middle Of Summer

Rae's POV:

"Quick, hide the girl!" Brendon hissed at the sound of the booming voice.

"Get down!" Jon whispered at me frantically as he threw a blanket over my head.

As they all shuffled around to form a human barricade, I did my best to curl up in a blind spot under the various, unique pillows and the wool blanket.

Clumsily I adjusted myself. Ow, ow, ow, ow, owww... There was absolutely no way to hide comfortably with bruises covering me from head to toe.

"Yeah?" The four chimed in all too suspiciously.

"I need you four outside, right now!"

"You ok?" Brendon asked reluctantly.

"No!" The voice snapped. "This day has been a train wreck and its only 7:30!" There was a pause. "Outside! Now please!"

The bus door shut.

"Shit...He's not in a good mood." I heard Jon mutter.

I peaked out of my cave.

"Should we tell him?" Spencer asked in a hushed, worried tone.

"No!" Ryan hissed back immediately. "You know he hates surprises."

Great. I wasn't even supposed to be on the bus. I felt my stomach drop with unease.

"Yeah but how are we gonna hide a person from him?" Brendon questioned.

From who??

A loud bang came the door again. A muffled voice from outside shouted "Now!" From my view it looked as if the two were straining to think.

Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw Spencer's face light up. He nudged Jon before whispering something brief in his ear. Jon then grinned in reply.

Apparently Ryan and Brendon saw this too.

"What?" Ryan asked.

"We can distract him for awhile while you guys think of something." Spencer smirked.

Brendon laughed. "Oh yeah? There's no way you could distract him of all people."

"Oh trust me," Jon chuckled, "we can."
Ryan and Brendon exchanged small grins.

"Fine," Ryan answered, "but how long have we got?"

"How long do you need?" Spencer laughed.

"As much time as possible."
Spencer and Jon's grins widened.

"We'll see what we can do."

Brendon shook his head as he laughed.
"Hurry up and go before he blows a fuse."

And with that Spencer and Jon dashed out of the bus.

The next thing I knew, Ryan was peaking back at me.

"You can come out now." He smiled softly.

I casually propped myself up with my elbows: bad idea.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, owwww..." I hissed through my gritted teeth.

Brendon and Ryan quickly did their best to help me up.

"Oh! Careful..." Ryan winced.

"Thank you..." I mumbled back.

"Really though, are you alright?"

Brendon asked as Ryan took a seat next to me again. Quickly, I shot my glance away.