Chapter 30

I knocked on the door and waited, somewhat, impatiently until the door swung open. "Excuse me? Can I help you with something?" In front of me stood a beautiful brunette, carrying a baby girl on her arm. For a girl to open the door at a place that's not hers, must mean she's quite comfortable there and familiar with the homeowner. For a second, a wave of jealousy washed over me. But then realized something. If only I would have paid a little more attention to what was happening around me rather than to business only, and then remember things that were said to me, I would have known immediately that this was Julian's sister. Besides, that, the evidence was clear. This woman was a spitting image of her brother. They had the same eyes, the same nose, and even the same mouth, although her lips were a bit fuller.

I smiled at her and offered my hand for her to shake. "You must be Hannah. It's nice to meet you. I've heard quite a lot about you from Julian. I'm Lucy." Hannah stood there and gave me a quizzical look. It was now that I noticed that I may have been a little overdressed for a house visit where I knew would be kids. "I just came from a meeting and didn't have time to change my outfit. Didn't Julian tell you I was coming over?"

Hannah opened the door a bit further. "He didn't say anything. As a matter of fact, I don't think he knew you were coming after all. He just went out to help my husband out at the bar for a bit. But please, do come in. I think he'll be back in about half an hour. Can I get you anything to drink?"

I felt slightly disappointed, but I couldn't blame him for going his own way when I supposedly wasn't showing up. "It's okay. I can wait. I'd love a cup of tea or just some water." Hanna smiled and already made her way over to the kitchen. "It's okay. I can get it myself. Besides, you seem to have your hands full as it is already." I looked at the little bundle of joy in her arms. "She's beautiful. How have you been since giving birth? I can only imagine how tired you must be with not only a baby but with her brother as well." This earned a smile from Hannah and she gladly sat down.

"It's okay. I'm not going to lie to you, it's tiring like hell. But it's absolutely worth it. They are worth it." She looked at her children and there was no other emotion in her eyes than love. I focused my attention back on filling the two cups with hot water. "Have you ever considered children?" Her question surprised me and made me lose focus on my task. Instead of pouring the water into the all over my hand. "Ouch!" I quickly set the water boiler down and opened the cold water tap and put my hand under it.

Hannah, seemingly oblivious to what just happened, was still waiting for me to answer. "I like the idea of becoming a mom someday. But I don't know. I never gave it much thought as it never seemed like the right time to think about it. I was either swamped with work or there was no one to have a child with." I looked over at her to read her first reaction from her face. But that was of no use. She was as unreadable to me as her brother is. "Does that make any sense?"

"Of course it makes sense. I think that's something all women experience. I mean, I think it's every parents' wish for their children to grow up in a safe and stable environment. Ideally with both a mom and a dad. So I get where you're coming from." The little girl in her arms started to fuss a little. "Can you heat a bottle for her? There's one in the fridge."

I closed off the cold water tap and carefully dried off my hand. Then I got a bottle from the fridge and put it in the microwave for 90 seconds. That should suffice. While the bottle was heating up, I went back to my task of making Hannah and me some tea.

"Do you think you can see a future with my brother? Please, be honest. I can see you're a good girl and that you have good intentions. But do you really think he can fit in your life?" She rocked the baby in her arms. "Don't get me wrong, but it seems like your work is your baby. I mean, you rushed over here from a meeting that you prioritized over coming here to meet your man's sister. And I get it, you're trying to save your family business and that takes time. But what after the company is saved and everything is going smoothly again? Will you be able to set different priorities?"