Chapter 6

I stood in front of my parents' house, letting out a deep breath. I knew this dinner was going to be extremely awkward after the run-in I had with my father yesterday. And how could I forget the set up my mom arranged for me today. Going against my screaming conscious, I rang the doorbell and waited for someone to open the door.

A wave of relief washed over me when I saw Ava was the one to let me inside the house. "I know you don't want her meddling, at all. But I got to admit, mom has a great taste. That Andrew guy she invited to set you up with, he's quite the looker." So much for her being on my side.

Rolling my eyes, I stepped into the house and closed the door behind me. "Mom! Lucy's here!" Ava called out and I rewarded her with one of my icy glares. Normally, I would only give them to my father or when dealing with slacking staff.

There was no time for Ava to give any response to my stare because my mom immediately joined us in the hallway, a good looking young man in tow. "Lucy, meet Andrew. He's Nancy's son, you know, from the book club." How could I forget? She only mentioned her book club at least once an hour. Not even talking about the book club, but mostly gossiping about who told her what and about who. Basically, the book club was an excuse to get together twice a week and just gossip.

Andrew held out his hand for me to shake and gave me a kind and polite smile. I shook his hand and gave him the same, fake, smile. "Hi Andrew, it's nice to meet you. I heard quite a lot about you through my mother." I loved my mom, I truly did, but sometimes the rest of life couldn't catch up to her mouth.

My mom turned around and made her way back into the kitchen. Ava tried to follow her to give me and this Andrew some time alone, but I grabbed her by the arm to prevent that. "I need to make a quick business call. Ava, would you mind to keep our guest some company while I'm gone?" I quickly made my way to my old room, to escape the awkwardness that was going on downstairs.

However, I did have to make a quick call to Alison, about setting up a meeting first thing tomorrow. After that, I took a deep breath and made my way back to the kitchen, where I knew my mother was anticipating to hear what I thought of the guy she picked out for me. While on my way to my mom, I caught a glance of Ava and Andrew laughing together in the living room. They comfortably seated on one of the couches.

I stopped in my tracks to watch them a little longer. I knew my sister better than anyone else and I could recognize her real, genuine smile from miles away. A smile she hasn't smiled ever since the accident with Chris happened. I then focused on Andrew, he too seemed to smile a genuine smile, definitely different from the one he gave me in the hallway. Was he too forced by his mom?

After concluding Ava and Andrew would make a good couple, I continued my way to the kitchen where my mom was putting together an Italian salad. The kitchen fit exactly with the rest of the house, big and rustic. It was the house and kitchen I grew up in. If I tried hard enough I could still catch a glimpse of the scent of fresh-baked cookies mom used to bake for us every Wednesday afternoon.

"Hey mom," I said before pressing a kiss to my mother's cheek. I moved over to the sink and started washing my hands. "Need some help?"

"Lucy! Why aren't you with Andrew? Don't you like him?" My mom started firing questions at me. All I did to answer her questions was taking her by the hand an led her to the living area where Andrew and Ava were still chatting and laughing with each other. "Andrew is perfectly fine mom, just not for me. I'll be fine, I'll find someone."

"I'll try to talk to your father and grandfather to let you off the hook sweetie, I know this isn't how you imagined getting settled."

And right at that moment, my father made himself present. How much would he have heard? Judging by the look on his face, he heard more than enough. "Don't even bother. I won't change my mind. Things need to be done to save the company."

I scoffed at my father, not caring how it would affect his already sour mood or our already complicated relationship. "How could I be naïve enough to maybe think you would give me a shot at living my own life? Business before anything else right? I pray to God, every night, I won't turn out to be like you. That my family wouldn't be as torn apart as ours is. That my kids will have both parents in their life, loving them unconditionally and are free to make their own choices in life instead of being pawned as a business deal."

A sudden impact on my face made me take a step back. I felt the burning starting to come through and tears immediately escaped my eyes, gliding down my cheeks. Without any word or whatsoever, I fled the house and jumped into my car, driving away.

-