Chapter 23

This beautiful cover was made by 

Thank you for the amazing work you have done.

Enjoy the new chapter!

________________________________________________________________

"So, what now?" Ava asked. She came in when I was telling Chris all about Julian. "Are you going to read the actual message? Or do you need me to do it?"

I still haven't read the message because I was scared of what it might say. Was he mad? Was this the final message in which he would tell me to back off because he isn't interested? What if I screwed up?

"Lucienne Amelia Harrington, you go and open that message right now." Chris's voice sounded soft, which made it all the more threatening. He wasn't a person to yell anyway. Ava sat next to him on the other side of the bed and nodded in agreement. "He's right. It's like ripping off a band-aid. If he's not into you, it's his loss anyway."

I let out a sigh I didn't know I was holding in. My siblings were teaming up against me and they had won. I took my phone in my hands and closed my eyes for a second. I imagined how my life could look like when the text was positive. How Julian and I would walk hand in hand through the park and how I could just be happy.

Was that really what I thought of Julian? Was he my ticket to happiness? Since when was I the kind of person that would let her happiness be decided by someone else? Shouldn't it matter how I feel about myself? The answer was and would always be no. I didn't need Julian to accomplish all that. But the timing was right.

I met Julian at a point in my life where I was forced to look at my life beyond work. I was forced into the dating scene. It was Julian who had made me realize there was more to life than just my career. This realization is something I should never forget. No matter the outcome of this text, I cannot let it change my outlook on life.

With a new-found feeling of strength, I opened my eyes, unlocked my phone, and opened the message.

Julian:

I'm sorry about that coffee just yet. I was hoping to catch you in your office, but you seemed to be in quite the rush.

That was it? There wasn't anything else?

"So? What does it say?" Ava has always been a curious one. Chris's eyes were still focused on mine as if he was trying to read my thoughts. "Are you okay? Do you need to go? I would totally understand if you were to leave now. I know my waking up wasn't scheduled and you both have a busy agenda." God, I had missed my brother. I could always count on him to lighten up the mood and I was so happy to see that hasn't changed over the years.

"He can wait. I have waited for a long time to just sit here and spend time with you in which you are actually able to react. Besides, I bet Rachel will be here soon to send us away anyway. Visiting hours are almost over." As if she stood around the corner, Rachel stepped in, a smile on her face. "It's good to see you awake, Mr. Harring-"

The smile on Chris's face wavered. "Please, just call me Chris. Mr. Harrington is my father and I really don't want to think about him just yet. So, you must be the Rachel my sister had told me about. The one who sat with me when Lucy couldn't make it? I guess a big thank you is in order. I wish I would have been better company, my apologies." Chris's smile lit up the room, or at least his smile had an effect on the glistering in Rachel's eyes. They really would make a beautiful couple.

-

Rachel kicked me and Ava out. We hugged goodbye and then both went our separate ways, Ava went to see Andrew and I went home to get out of these coffee-stained clothes. On my way home, I thought about the text Julian had sent me and I took out my phone. I reread the text and contemplated on what to do. Should I text him back? Should I call him? Should I just ignore it and see how it all unfolds?

What happened to me taking control of my life? There was no way I could wait and see what was about to happen. So I texted him back.

Lucy:

I should've known it was you. Who else would ruin my perfectly good outfit with a coffee stain? I'm sorry I missed you.

I reread my message a couple of times before I hit send. I shouldn't be thinking about this much. The trip back home was quick, thanks to a cab and low traffic. As soon as I stepped into my apartment, I made a bee-line for the bathroom and got myself ready for a shower. The coffee had seeped through my clothes and made them stick to my body.

My shower was quick and efficient. Soon I was seated on my couch, wearing something comfortable, with my laptop in my lap. I just had to finish some more work and I didn't feel like going back to the office. I was just getting into my working modus when my phone announced a new message. Goodbye, focus.

My hand reached for my phone without a second thought, expecting the message to be from Julian. Unfortunately, it wasn't. It was from Chris, asking me if there was some news. I typed back a quick reply and went back to work only to be disturbed half an hour later by the ringing of the intercom. Who could that be?

I got up from the couch and walked over to the intercom. "Hello?"

"It's Julian. Can you please let me in?"

My heart skipped a beat. I expected him to send back a text or maybe call if he was persistent to speak to me. But never would I have dared to dream for him to show up here, at my apartment.

"Lucy?Please," his voices cracked. Was it the intercom that made it sound like that,or was it something else? I realized that it had taken me longer than ever to buzzsomeone in. Without another word, I pressed the button to open the door downstairsbefore I rushed back into my room to make sure I looked somehow presentable.

__________________

This was the chapter so far. So sorry to leave you hanging on this exact point, more is coming soon. I am looking for a new cover for this story. So if you want to try your hand on creating one, let me know.

XO Anna