4 The Client

I truly needed to break this habit of being woken up by a phone ringing on the morning of a hangover. Emma was in my bed again, groaning at the sound of the shrill ring. I cursed as I jumped to my feet, head pounding in agony as I searched for my phone. It took me a few seconds to realize the sound was coming from outside of my room. I bolted through the door and into the living room, promptly tripping over Wesley who was sprawled, asleep, on the floor outside my room. He grunted and I whispered an apology as Aaron groaned at the interruption of his sleep from the couch.

"Hello?" I answered the phone having not had the time to check the ID in my haste to reach it while it still rang.

"Hey, is everyone up there?" Carter asked from the other end. I glanced around my living room to see my brother on the couch, Wes on the floor in front of my bedroom, and Shane hunched over in a chair.

"Yep," I answered.

"I thought so. I picked up breakfast. I'm on my way up."

Click. I set down the phone and glanced around at my disarrayed apartment. With a sigh, I headed back to my room, gathered an outfit for the day, and headed into the shower. The hot water worked wonders on my mood and I dressed and exited the bathroom to find everyone awake and chatting over bagels and coffee at my kitchen counter. Carter offered me a mug as I approached and I sipped the warm liquid eagerly.

"Better?" he asked, brow raised.

"For now," I answered. "But if you call me early the morning of a hangover one more time..."

He laughed. I set my phone down and turned to get some orange juice from the refrigerator. I heard it buzz behind me as I did and heard Emma gasp in response.

"Umm," she started, gazing down at my phone screen. "How did he get your cell number?"

"What?" I reached for my phone but it was too late. Carter had already snatched it up and was staring at the screen angrily. I took it from him and read. It was a text message from Bradley Cork asking me what my plans were the day were and if I had time to "run over some designs" with him, saying I could come to his apartment to do so. I sighed.

"That's it," Carter said. "This guy wants to run over designs? I'll run over some designs. I'll-"

"I have to go," I said, draining my coffee and stashing my phone into my pocket. They all stopped and looked at me in surprise.

"What? Absolutely not," Aaron said. "Ava, are you kidding? You can't go to his apartment alone."

"Then one of you can come with me. He's a client and this is what we do. I went over to Mrs. Henson's house last weekend to meet with her."

"That's different. You can't-"

"I'll go," Carter volunteered. I turned to face him and noticed the vein throbbing in his forehead. I raised a brow.

"You're too angry," I told him.

"Aaron has a date. Wes has to work. I'm going."

I had never heard him use that tone before. It left no room for argument. He was angry and he meant what he was saying. There was no way I was leaving this apartment without him.

"I can come too if you-" Shane started, sensing the tension.

"No. I've got it. You and Emma are supposed to meet about the ad campaign anyway," Carter said, heading for the door. "Well, Ava? If you insist on going, let's go."

I watched him curiously but grabbed my purse from where I had thrown it on the barstool the night before. "Fine. Just let me text him we're on our way."