20 Chicago

Max Jordan's offices in Chicago were a wonder of modern architecture. The detail in the design was so exquisite that I found myself staring at simple grooves in the marble or the acacia wood surrounding the doorways.

"If you'll have a seat in this conference room, Mr. Jordan will be right with you," his secretary was telling me. I thanked her and stepped inside the large rectangular room.

There were about twenty chairs surrounding a massive mahogany table. I chose one at random and took my time pulling out my notebook and a pen. There was an excellent view of the Chicago skyline from up here on the thirty eighth floor and I couldn't help but admire it as I waited, thinking that Wes would have loved an office like this.

"Miss Rollins!" Someone said enthusiastically and I turned to see an African American man my age entering the room behind me. He smiled broadly, revealing a perfect row of white teeth, and casually unbuttoned the middle button of his suit jacket the way men did when they were about to sit. He wore trendy thick framed glasses and sported an on-purpose five o' clock shadow. He was, objectively, quite attractive. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"Mr. Jordan," I shook his head in greeting as he eyed me, doing his own appraisal. "Likewise."

He smiled again as he rounded the table and took a seat across from me. He took a moment to settle in before he spoke again.

"Well, since I'm the one who's been shamelessly hounding you for this meeting, I suppose I should be the one to start," he began and I said nothing as I fell firmly into the category of agreeing with him. "Here's the long and short of it. My firm is looking to expand their reach. We build buildings. Now we want to design their insides as well. Sort of a full service type of deal. We came across that article about you and started checking out Country Vibes. Your designs, your company, it has that feel we're looking for, hoping to partner with. That down home, family run sort of vibe."

"Which we wouldn't be anymore if we partnered with you," I pointed out but he merely smiled in response.

"This isn't a one time deal, Miss Rollins. We aren't looking to buy you out. We're looking to partner with you. You would maintain control of your company, your team, your designs. We would expect to utilize your skill for any new buildings we develop and in return you would see twenty percent of the profits. Likewise, we would be entitled to fifteen percent of the profits from any new projects you take on from the point of agreement, as it's assumed having our name attached to yours would generate business for you. Down the line, should you want to expand your reach into other markets like here in Chicago or even New York and LA, we would help you expand into those markets and maintain our fifteen percent of the profit share."

I nodded along as he spoke. It seemed like an equitable deal and twenty percent of the profits from any of their buildings that I design would be huge. This was a nationally recognized architectural firm. Country Vibes was hardly more than a local interior design office. Max Jordan had been right before. This was more of an investment for his firm than a partnership. And one that I had half a mind to accept right now.

"There will be details," I said. "It can't possibly be as simple as you're claiming."

He nodded.

"We'll have a copy of the contract sent over to your lawyers today," he told me. I nodded because that seemed good enough.

Note to self: Call Mindy. Get lawyers.

"I'm sure you'll want to hold off on the decision making until that contract is reviewed," Mr. Jordan said respectfully, still smiling as he stood from his seat. "Allow me to take you to dinner in the meantime."