Chapter 23

Doe's POV:

I didn't get much sleep that night.

Neither of us did.

Xander stood and waited for Nico until about two in the morning before calling it quits.

I called it quits a few hours earlier, just needing to lay down for a bit.

I honestly couldn't tell you whether or not I actually managed to fall asleep at all.

My guilt had turned into a constant weight in my gut mixed with a headache.

It was different from the ones I had when I was sick because I knew how to make these feel better.

I needed to apologize on my behalf.

Xander can handle his own daunting repentance process to his brother on his own, but I needed to talk to Khloe.

Preferably without Nico being there, but the chances of that happening were slim, especially now.

I let out a long, frustrated sigh, looking up towards Xander on the couch as he finished getting ready for breakfast.

And by that, I just mean fixing his bedhead and watching him try to rub away his dark circles.

There was a thick tension, not necessarily between us, in the air that I knew both of us could feel.

Neither of us had said a word to each other since last night.

I guess we were just too wrapped up in our own wrongdoings at the moment.

All I knew was that he was hoping more than anything that Nico was going to be there for breakfast.

He wanted his reprimand more than anything at this point.

I guess even if that meant it happening in public.

Which wasn't really something I wished to witness, but I had my own things to worry about.

If there was even the smallest chance I could talk to Khloe, I wanted to take it.

"You really think he's gonna show up?" I spoke softly as he walked from the bathroom.

He was carrying his guilt in his eyes as he looked at me, taking a moment to give me a response.

"I want him to, but I'm not getting my hopes up," He cleared his throat, rubbing one of his long sleeves, "You ready?"

I nodded and stood to make my way over to him.

Xander was the only way that I was going to be able to do what I wanted to do, but I also rarely asking things of him.

At least not things like these... I felt weird when I was genuinely asking for most things that weren't just necessities.

But for my sanity, and to maybe convince Khloe that not everyone who lived in this room was a monster, I needed to try.

Xander went to turn towards the door as soon as I reached him, but stopped as soon as I grabbed ahold of his sleeve.

Whether it was my weird asking-for-things complex or just a mix of everything that's happened recently, I couldn't meet his eye and instead looked towards the floor.

"Do you... do you think you can get me into Nico's room?" was all I said.

With my question being done followed by a long silence, I finally lifted my gaze.

He looked confused but still seemed to be pondering the question.

"You want to get to Khloe?"

I hesitated, wondering if my answer was going to affect his.