Chapter 87

Doe's POV:

A low sound roused me from my sleep.

Or maybe it was the peculiar vibrating right next to my head, but either way it caused me to open my eyes to the dark room.

Realizing that the sound was coming from the chest I was laying directly next to, I nearly panicked thinking that he was growling at something.

But no... This one sounded different.

It was quieter and much softer, just rumbling continuously through his even breathing.

Through my grogginess, it took me a few seconds to realize where I'd heard this from him before, and from there distinguish what it was.

He was purring.

Something I've never heard from him when he wasn't taking my blood.

I've always wondered what it would be like in a different circumstance.

And now here he was, doing it in his sleep.

I knew he was asleep, he was holding too still not to be.

It was oddly hypnotic, like the low frequency of it was rubbing my brain a certain way that made me just want to relax.

And so I did, easing every muscle that had tightened from when I woke up, and carefully lifting my hands.

I didn't want to deliberately wake him up, not knowing whether or not this would cease if he did.

The pads of all ten of my fingers gingerly set themselves on this chest, feeling the deep vibration under his shirt.

Weird.

What an interesting function for the most feared killer in the world to have.

One that I was beginning to favor more and more as the seconds went by.

Why didn't he do this more often?

I let my eyes shut again to help me listen to the occasional crackle that broke through the rest.

Before I even knew it, I was leaning my forehead towards his chest to feel it that way.

And the second I made contact, it stopped, followed by some subtle movement from the hand he had at the base of my neck.

Dammit.

I dropped the hands that I had on him, staying still as he re-arranged and got comfy again.

Maybe it'll come back once he falls back asleep.

"Why are you awake?" his sleepy voice inquired.

I turned my head up to see the glow of his eyes peering through barely opened eyelids.

"You woke me up," I accused.

Though it was true.

"Huh?"

Alright, maybe I shouldn't be too snarky when he's just woken up.

"Were you having a good dream?" I asked instead.

His silence showed that he found my question very random.

"Vampires don't dream that often, so I don't think so."

I replied with a short hum, looking back to his chest.

"You were purring," I disclosed, figuring that maybe he'll do it again if he knew.

"I was what?" that tired drawl was suddenly gone, his movements ceasing.

Like what I had said was horrifying.