7: CONVINCING

I had to wake up Kyra when we got to our stop at the station.  It had been an extremely long day. But the good type of long.  One of the best days I've ever had.  Mainly because I met the Avatar and the rest of his world-saving companions.  Without them, the Fire Nation would rule all four nations.  And according to them, there wouldn't have been the Earth Kingdom at all.  

There was only one real challenge left.  The fact that I would have to convince my parents to let me go to the Fire Nation, of all places, for who knows how long.  I mean, I'm sure I could, but it'll take a lot.  I might have to throw the Avatar in the discussion somewhere.  

Kyra and I decided we'd ask tomorrow.  I was much too tired to answer our parents' multiple questions about the day, so I told them it was fun, but tiring, and went to bed.  

-- ꩜ 🌊 🌏 🔥 --

"What did you do after the teashop?" asked mother that morning, over breakfast.  She was very interested, and father seemed keen as well.

"Well, we met some friends.  We got lunch with them."

"Who?" asked mother.  "New friends?"

I took a sip of tea.  "Yes, new," I nodded. "Um, they were from all over the world, actually.  There was a waterbender, Katara, and an earthbender, too, her name was Toph.  A Kyoshi warrior, too, and a water tribe warrior."

"Really?  Were they traveling?"

"Yes," I said.  "With the Avatar."

"What?"

"I met the Avatar."

"Really?" asked Father.  "What was he like?"

"Well, his name's Aang, and he's twelve."

"He's twelve?" 

"Uh, yes.  And he's got this sky bison, his name's Appa.  Kyra and I went for a ride, actually.  It was really amazing.  The city's really beautiful from above."

"You went to the Upper Ring, and you met the Avatar!" said mother.  "That's wonderful, Jin!"

"It was.  He was really nice to us, too.  His earthbending friend might even teach Kyra some things."

"That's good," she said.  Just then, the door burst open and Kyra came through it.  She quickly bowed to my parents and grandfather.

"I'm going to the Fire Nation!" she said, out loud.  My family looked at her confusedly, and I facepalmed.

"Oh," Kyra said.  "You didn't ask yet."

"Ask what?" said mother.  "Ask to go to the Fire Nation?"

"Um, yes?" I answered.

"Why?" she said.

"Well, remember that guy I told you about? Lee?"

"Yes..." said mother and father simultaneously. 

"Well, his name wasn't Lee."

Father looked confused.  "Who was he, then?"

"His name's Zuko."

"Zuko, as in the new Fire Lord?" he asked.

"Um, yes."

"Why do you want to go to the Fire Nation?" asked mother.

"Well --"

"She wants to see Zuko again," interrupted Kyra.  I turned to her, giving her a look.  "What?" she shrugged.  "It would've taken you too long to get to the point."

"Jin, you can't just walk into the Fire Nation," said mother.  "Remember, the war only just ended.  I'm sure there's still some Fire Nation citizens who want the old Fire Lord back."

"Yes, but we'll be traveling with the Avatar, and his friends, mother.  I'm sure they're all more than capable of protecting us from any firebender.  They've offered to take us.  Zuko is their friend."

"Well, still, you can't just run off because you want to see a person you only went on a date with once."

"But I felt something, mother.  Come on, aren't you usually the compliant one?"

Father rolled his eyes.

"Ah, let her go," said grandfather.  Usually, he was the one to wait and listen for the right time to get into an argument.  Usually, that was never.

Mother and father turned toward him.

"What?  Father, she wants to --" started mother.

"I know what she said, Fera.  Jin's seventeen, isn't she?  Old enough to do what she pleases, I think.  Why don't you let her go?  She's given you no reason to think she can't handle the situation.  She's traveling with the Avatar, for spirit's sake."

Mother and Father gave each other looks and communicated through them.  then they nodded at each other.  Kyra looked hopeful.

"Alright," said mother.  "You should thank your grandfather.  We trust you, Jin."

I smiled wide. "Thank you, mother," I said, giving her a hug, then I turned to father, to do the same.  "Thank you, father."  I stood and bowed to grandfather.

"Thank you, grandfather," I said.

"Oh, come here," he replied, opening his arms in welcome.  I hugged him as well. "Charm him good," he said, making me smile.

"How long will you be gone for?" asked mother, as I got up.  

"I'm not sure," I said.  "It takes a couple of days to get to the capital city from Ba Sing Se.  And I don't know how long I'll be there."

Mother nodded. "Well, why don't you go pack some things."

Kyra squealed in excitement, following me to my room.

"You know, I was so excited when my mother and father said yes, I finished packing straight away.  Mother's asked me to send her lots of letters."

"I'll miss my parents," I said.  "But it'll be great to go somewhere other than Ba Sing Se.  I've never been outside the walls other than yesterday, on Appa."

Kyra looked up dreamily.  "That was amazing. You know, it's too bad Sokka's taken, he's kinda cute."

I rolled my eyes.  "Maybe you'll find someone in the Fire Nation capital, who knows."

"Maybe," Kyra smiled.  "But I'm happy that you get to go.  I mean, I guess we wouldn't even be going at all if it weren't for you, huh?"

"Yeah, and you'd be stuck here alone," I laughed. 

"Hey, I have friends!"

"Who, your cousin?  I don't think he counts."

Kyra rolled her eyes playfully.  "But anyways.  What are you bringing?" 

"Well, we don't know how long we're going to be gone.  But we can always get clothes there, so I'm not bringing much to wear."

"When in the Fire Nation, wear Fire Nation clothes."

"Exactly."

"Anything else?"

"I'll pack some other things too, I don't know what yet.  Aang said we could come to the hotel when we wanted to go, right?"

"Yes, he did," nodded Kyra.

"This is going to be fun," I said.

"It is."