21: IN THE NIGHT

one year later

I had gone back three times to the Fire Nation, each for a week.  Kyra came with me every time, and even though not everyone was there at once, we did occasionally see Aang, Katara, Sokka, or someone else.  They had set off their own separate ways, now that the war was over.  They still saw each other, of course.  

Kyra had gone on more trips than I had 一 she was still mastering earthbending with Toph.  Though a lot of the time, they met in the area outside the inner wall, where it was all barren, rocky land.  In that time, Kyra had started metalbending, too, and became very good at it.  She showed me all the time and kept a metal band around her arm just in case she needed it.  She had taken the idea from Toph, who keeps a band of meteorite in the same place around her own arm.  

Tonight I had been brought alone to the Fire Nation Palace and was to be there for two weeks.  Kyra was here, though she was staying with Hakan and his family.   They really liked her.

Zuko had requested that I sleep in the room right next to his, especially since Kyra wasn't going to be here this time.  But I had been alone before, so I wasn't sure what he was so paranoid about.  He said he just wanted me to feel safe.  The Fire Lord's room was in the most secure tower in the palace.

It was the middle of the night when I heard loud talking coming from Zuko's room.  It was panicked-sounding.  I got up and out of bed to see what was happening.  

Zuko was yelling.  "Do not mock me!   There have already been five attempts on my life since I took the throne!"

"And that's why we moved you here! " exclaimed a guard.  "Please, you have to trust --"

But immediately, both guards standing in front of Zuko were knocked out with something that flew threw the air.  Zuko saw me in my doorway. 

"That wasn't you, was it?" he asked.  I shook my head.  "Show yourself!" he yelled, punching a fire blast down the seemingly empty hall, making the curtains fly as if a draft were let in.  

"Stay back," he said, walking forward.  It was eerie, but not so quiet.

"Down with the traitor! Down with the Fire Lord who betrays his own people!" yelled a voice, jumping down from the ceiling with a ball on a chain.  She was wearing all black, all I could see was her eyes.  I dove out of the way, and so did Zuko, just before the person would have smashed his foot with the ball.  

He sent a fire blast her way again, but she was quick, and nimble, and dodged it with a backflip over it.  She spun the ball around his leg and pulled knocking him to the ground.  I started over to help, but he was already kicking a wind of fire toward her, to which she jumped backward, and when he punched again, bent back under, nearly missing her, but made her stumble to the ground.

He then pushed down the mask that covered the lower part of her face and stood over her as she stared angrily at him.

"Convince me not to take your life!" yelled Zuko, stance ready.  

"Zuko, please," I muttered.

"No, go ahead!" yelled the girl, who looked our age.  "My family has been loyal to your for generations!  By getting rid of me, you would simply complete your betrayal!"

"Your family?" said Zuko in a normal tone, standing straight.

"My father is the mayor of Yu Dao!"

"Yu Dao... the first of the Fire Nation Colonies."

"Yes, my home!" said the girl, staying angry while Zuko calmed down.  "And now you and the Avatar are going to destroy it with you precious Harmony Restoration Movement!"

Zuko did not speak.  He stared her down, and guards finally rushed to the scene.

"I'm going to Yu Dao tomorrow, and she's coming with," he said to them bluntly.  "Take her away."

A guard clasped her and chains and proceeded to walk back down the hall.  She didn't fight back, but wasn't happy about it, either. The other two took the unconscious guards downstairs to the infirmary.

"She's from the Earth Kingdom colonies," I said, once they left.

"Yes," said Zuko.

"What are you going to do with her?" I asked.  "Why are we going to Yu Dao?"

"We're going to Yu Dao?" questioned Zuko, turning around to me.  "No, Jin, I'm going to Yu Dao."

"Absolutely not.  I'm coming with you."

"I'm going to confront the mayor there, her father.  If he had anything to do with this..."

"Zuko, I'm coming with you."

"She tried to take my life, Jin. I don't want you coming to where she lives.  I want you to be safe."

"I'll be fine," I assured.  "I want to be with you.  We have to protect each other."

"I just --"

"Let's go to bed, Zuko.  You look tired."

Zuko sighed, but smiled slightly.

"Good night, Jin," he said, kissing me sweetly.  

"I'll see you in the morning, Zuko."

一 ꩜ 🌊 🌏 🔥 一

We took to Yu Dao in the morning. Zuko gave me royal robes to wear, when we went, as out in public he would dress in full Fire Lord garb, and if I came with him, I'd have to look just as regal.

We stopped in the town's square to the sound of a man yelling "Stop, Stop!" from a palanquin.  To people in green clothes put it down, and the man rushed toward us.  The girl from last night, who was called Kori, was pushed forward by the guards.

"Kori!" yelled the man, running to hug her.  "Where have you been! Your mother and I were worried sick!"  He then took notice of the fact that she was in wrist chains and the soldiers behind her.  Zuko stood ground looking at the man, and I did the same.  His daughter had tried to assassinate my boyfriend.  Why wouldn't I be mad?

"Wait -- who are these men?  What are these chains?" said the mayor.

"I went to go see someone about our problem,  father," said Kori, quietly.

"Who?" 

"Him," said Kori, side eying Zuko.  Her father's eyes widened as Zuko and I stepped forward. "F-Fire Lord Zuko!" he said. 

"You must be Mayor Morishita," said Zuko.  "Your daughter snuck into my home and tried to kill me!" he yelled.  I crossed my arms in the background, lingering just next to him.