Chapter 10

Shadows ebbed through every part of the forest and the tree canopy above was so intertwined it blocked out Starpelt. A chill settled in the air, burrowing deep in Hopeflame's bones. She fluffed out her thick pelt against the cold, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Her green eyes surveyed the tree-line for any sign of life. Was this StarClan? She wondered to herself for a moment before immediately banishing that thought. No, StarClan's Forest had been teeming with light and warmth. This had to be the Dark Forest.

Fear sent shivers down her spine as she remembered Wrath, the black tom who seemed intent on ensuring she followed Tigerstar's orders. As if on cue, the tom stepped from the shadows. Hopeflame shuffled her paws nervously. What did he want with her now?

"All four clans are Merged," Wrath said with a purr. "You've done well, Hopeflame."

She flattened her ears as he drew nearer. "I obeyed Tigerstar like you asked. Now leave me in peace."

Wrath laughed in a way that could only be described as maniacal. Hopeflame wanted to leave. Now that she believed in StarClan, it felt very wrong to be here in the Dark Forest with Wrath. She knew that Bluestar wouldn't approve.

The black tom clicked his tongue as if he were chastising a kit. "We're not through yet, Hopeflame. TigerClan is too seeded with traitors for me to walk away willfully. There are those who don't believe in Tigerstar's mission."

Hopeflame glanced up at the sky in an effort to glimpse Starpelt, but all she could see were the gnarled trees. She lowered her head to meet Wrath's stare. "I'm done being anyone's pawn. You and Tigerstar will have to find another cat to do your bidding." Her voice shook as she said it for fear of how he'd react.

Wrath's gaze turned cold as the chill that gripped the Dark Forest. He moved closer to tower over her. "Done?" His voice dripped with disdain. "You can't just decide to be done, dear Hopeflame."

She lifted her chin defiantly and tried not to quiver in fear. "I am. I walk with StarClan now."

Something sinister flickered in his gaze that terrified Hopeflame. She wanted to wake up. Now.

The black tom moved closer until their noses were only a whisker-length apart. "You'll never walk with StarClan, not truly." He leaned over to whisper in her ear, his breath like a chill. "Your sins are too many and you've walked the path of darkness too long."

Her heart tightened in her chest and her breath quickened. Could he be right? Did StarClan only speak with her because they also had something to gain? Were they just like the Dark Forest, dressed up in starlight to ease the mind?

"No one will truly accept you with the darkness that follows you." Wrath murmured softly. "Not like I will."

Hopeflame squeezed her eyes shut in an attempt to block him out. No, this had to be a trick! Bluestar had told her that she was StarClan's last hope. There were plenty of cats who loved her! She listed them in her mind to fortify herself against Wrath's manipulation:

Brambleclaw, Sandstorm, Graystripe, Owlgaze, Mapleheart, Stormblaze, Featherstream...

"They don't really care for you, Hopeflame," Wrath whispered in her ear.

Hopeflame could see the shadows circling her at Wrath's command. They reminded her of wolves hunting down their prey. She tried to hold on to those she loved in her heart, to block out the shadows. But no matter how hard she tried, the shadows drew closer and closer.

"No!" Hopeflame cried to herself. "I am loved!"

"It's all a lie..." Wrath's voice surrounded her like the wind. "No one loves you..."