Chapter 15

In the days that followed, something changed in Tigerstar. Whatever it was, it made Hopeflame uneasy. He was more irritable and paced around the camp in an almost paranoid manner. She made sure to steer clear of him and keep her kits far away.

That was proving more difficult as the days went on. They were growing more bold, often trying to sneak out of camp. It took her, Featherstream, Tawnypelt, and Sorreltail to keep all the kits in line. At least Talonkit, Daisykit, and Foxkit were still a bit too young to leave the nursery. Sorreltail just recently moved into the nursery expecting Gorsefur's kits.

Even now, Hopeflame bathed in the sun next to Featherstream and Sorreltail as they kept a close eye on the kits. Shadowkit and Riverkit tumbled in the snow with Stormkit while Windkit talked excitedly with Silverkit. Thunderkit had asked to visit the healer den.

She worried what Tigerstar or even Brambleclaw would say if they knew Thunderkit was showing interest in healing. There was still stigma around being a healer instead of a warrior. It's as if Tigerstar completely ignored how vital healers were to the health and safety of the clan. They saved lives, but Tigerstar only saw it as a soft profession.

Hopeflame doubted that Tigerstar would allow Thunderkit to become a healer.

"So, Sorreltail," Featherstream glanced at the tortoiseshell and white she-cat. "With you in the nursery, who's mentoring Smallpaw?"

It was a valid question. Onewhisker had taken over mentoring Heatherpaw when Tawnypelt joined the nursery.

Sorreltail looked over to where Smallpaw shared a mouse with Leafpaw. A flash of guilt passed across her face. "She'll be made a warrior very soon. Until then, Owlgaze offered." She met Hopeflame's gaze and they shared a knowing look.

It's only been a few days since Ebonypaw's death and Owlgaze seemed to be taking it hard. He rarely spent any time in the camp and was constantly trying to keep himself busy. Hopeflame had tried talking to her brother, but he seemed inconsolable. She imagined that he'd offered to train Smallpaw because she was Ebonypaw's littermate.

Sudden squealing drew her attention to where Stormkit and Shadowkit tussled while Riverkit looked on.

"Pinned you!" Stormkit yowled triumphantly as he pinned Shadowkit beneath his paws.

Shadowkit squirmed. "No fair! You're bigger!"

The two kits began to bicker and Hopeflame sighed. "I've got this." She hauled herself to her paws and ambled over to the pair of young toms. "What's the matter?" She asked them.

"Stormkit pinned me and wouldn't let me up!" Shadowkit whined. His dark tabby pelt bristling with indignation.

Stormkit narrowed his eyes at his playmate. "We were practicing battle moves like real warriors! If I were a real warrior I'd claw you!"

Hopeflame shot Stormkit a warning look. "Well, you're not warriors yet, you're kits. Practicing battle moves is all well, but make sure you let him up once you've pinned him."

The light brown tabby tom lowered his head. "Yes, Hopeflame."

She gave them both an affectionate lick on the ear. "Now, when you're practicing battle moves, make sure that you're practicing your balance."

Riverkit bounced over to join them, excitement glittering in her green eyes. "Show us!" She begged.

Hopeflame's whiskers twitched in amusement at her daughter's antics. "Very well."

Before she could say anything else, Riverkit called out, "Windkit, Silverkit! Hopeflame's going to teach us some battle moves!"

The two she-kits raced over excitedly and Hopeflame realized she had their undivided attention. "One thing that a warrior cannot fight without is balance," She told them. "You'll need to practice that before you perform any extravagant battle moves."