Chapter 14

"How could you?!" Whitestorm hissed with rage burning in his eyes.

Hopeflame licked Ebonypaw's forehead in an attempt to comfort him as the life drained from his body. Tears trailed down her cheeks but she tried to ignore her own pain. Her former apprentice was dying at her paws. Owlgaze joined her, his head hung in misery. Ebonypaw tried to speak, but no words came out.

"Shh..." Hopeflame murmured, touching her nose to his cheek. "StarClan's waiting for you."

The light in his amber eyes faded forever. He was gone.

"He was just an apprentice!" Whitestorm shouted.

Tigerstar flashed his fangs at Whitestorm with a snarl. "He was useless! TigerClan can only have strong, loyal warriors!"

"So you just killed him?" Mapleheart breathed, her voice shaking. Hopeflame moved to brush pelts with her sister to offer comfort.

Whitestorm launched himself at Tigerstar, claws unsheathed. They collided like thunder and Whitestorm clawed at Tigerstar with ferocious fury. Tigerstar swiped at Whitestorm with his abnormally long claws. Blood splattered the forest floor to mingle with the blood of Ebonypaw.

Russetfur tried to shield her apprentice's eyes from what was happening. Lilacpaw was shaking in her fur. Owlgaze stuck close to Hopeflame and Mapleheart, the pain from losing Ebonypaw evident on his face. He almost seemed numb to the fight between the two toms.

Tigerstar tried to pin Whitestorm beneath his thorn-sharp claws, but the white tom slipped from his grasp. He spun around to hit Tigerstar's tendons. The clan leader stumbled which gave Whitestorm just enough time to leap onto his shoulders. Blood spurted from the wound and Tigerstar released a furious yowl.

The white tom hung on tightly, digging his claws in further. He seemed to be preparing to bite Tigerstar's throat. Hopeflame leaped to her paws and she was moving before she knew what happened. She threw herself at Whitestorm, knocking him off of Tigerstar's back.

"Stop fighting!" Hopeflame hissed angrily.

Whitestorm stared at her in shock, his jaw agape. Before he could say a word, Tigerstar pounced on him as if he were a mouse and locked his fangs around his throat. Blood gushed from Whitestorm's throat and Hopeflame gasped in shock.

When Tigerstar finally released Whitestorm, the white tom was completely limp. He thudded to the ground as lifeless as fresh-kill with his eyes staring blankly up at Starpelt. Hopeflame couldn't move; her gaze locked on him.

What had she done?

She'd only wanted to stop Whitestorm from killing Tigerstar. This wasn't supposed to happen! As much as she hated Tigerstar right now, he was Brambleclaw's father. How could she have looked Brambleclaw in the eye and told him that she'd watched his father die without trying to save him? He'd never forgive her.

Mapleheart approached him on shaky legs to hold a paw in front of his nose. A few heartbeats passed before she pulled away with a distraught expression. "He's dead."

"Owlgaze, Hopeflame, carry Whitestorm back to camp. I want the entire clan to bear witness to his treachery. Russetfur, Lilacpaw, carry Ebonypaw." Tigerstar ordered then slunk off in the direction of Fourtrees.

Hopeflame shook with anger. Two honorable cats died today because of Tigerstar. His actions betrayed the emptiness in his heart. How could any cat like that love anyone? How could he be a clan leader who actually cared for his clan?

A touch at her shoulder pulled her from her thoughts. Owlgaze stood at her side with sadness painting his face. "Let's take Whitestorm home."

~*~

Hopeflame and Owlgaze carried Whitestorm into camp with Russetfur and Lilacpaw supporting Ebonypaw. The clan gathered around, cries of shock and despair filling the camp. Darkflower, who had been sobbing into Runningwind's shoulders, ran over when she caught sight of her son's lifeless body.

Russetfur and Lilacpaw laid the black apprentice beside Whitestorm at the foot of the Great Rock. Tigerstar sat atop the Great Rock, his amber eyes hard. Whispering filled Fourtrees as the clan speculated what had happened. Whitestorm's mate, Brindleface, along with their kits, Ashfang and Ferncloud, surrounded his body. Sorreltail and her brothers joined them-he'd been their father as well.

"Ebonypaw suffered a cruel end," Tigerstar's voice echoed through Fourtrees. He sounded desolate, but Hopeflame knew better. "After falling from a tree, he'd become paralyzed. I put him out of a lifetime of misery."

Hopeflame's claws dug into the dirt. Brambleclaw appeared from the crowd to brush his pelt against hers in comfort. She leaned into him for support. Later she'd tell him how his father mercilessly killed Ebonypaw then Whitestorm.

Tigerstar turned his gaze to Whitestorm's body. "This traitor attacked me. If it weren't for Hopeflame, I may not be standing here before you."

Murmurs of surprise and howls of protest filled Fourtrees. Many cats seemed discontent with Tigerstar's version of events. Hopeflame searched the camp for her kits but noticed Featherstream sitting at the entrance to the nursery. She gave a reassuring nod.

Tigerstar continued, shooting a deathly glare to any cat that spoke out. "Ebonypaw will receive a vigil and warrior's burial at sunrise." He sneered towards Whitestorm, hatred burning in his amber eyes. "The traitor will be left on the moor for the buzzards to eat. Traitors do not receive honorable burials."

"With all due respect, Tigerstar," Barkface stood to bowls address the leader, "Don't his kin deserve closure?"

The large tabby tom narrowed his eyes at Barkface. "His kin should understand that he tried to murder their leader. If their loyalty lies with TigerClan, then they will see what is right." He raised his head to address the whole clan. "Leopardfur, Jaggedtooth, and Dustpelt, I'd like you three to bring this traitor's body out to the moor. Leave him in the open to rot. Let this be a warning to any cat who proves to be disloyal."

The three warriors moved to carry away Whitestorm's body while Brindleface begged them to let him be. Ferncloud had to comfort her and pull her away from his body. Hopeflame's heart twisted in her chest. How could Tigerstar be so cruel?

Meanwhile, Runningnose and Mudfur prepared Ebonypaw's body for vigil. They cleaned his pelt and positioned him so that he almost looked like he was asleep. Herbs like rosemary were used to ward off the smell of death. Cats gathered around as the sun began to set.

Brambleclaw brushed his cheek against hers. "Are you okay?"

Hopeflame tried to ignore the sickness gurgling in her stomach. The events of today made her want to curl up in her nest and pray that this was all a terrible nightmare. What was she supposed to say to him? No, she wasn't okay. Her apprentice was dead and Whitestorm died trying to avenge him. His death was on her paws.

"I'm going to put the kits to sleep then come sit vigil." She got up to do just that, but Brambleclaw stopped her.

"Let me worry about the kits." He whispered gently in her ear. "You sit vigil."

Hopeflame blinked gratefully at him before joining the cats sitting vigil. She sat between Owlgaze and Thornclaw. Guilt prickled her pelt because she knew in her heart that Whitestorm should be here. It sickened her even more to think of his body being picked over like crow-food.

She spent the rest of the night remembering both Ebonypaw and Whitestorm with a heaviness in her heart.