Chapter 3

As soon as the sun set over the forest, the clan turned in for the night. The moon rose in the sky, half in light, bathing everything it touched in silver. Hopeflame turned over in her nest bedside Brambleclaw, who slept soundly and snored softly. She studied his face for a moment, noticing each feature that graced his broad face.

What would she tell him if he woke up and realized that she was gone? Where would she say she's been? Would she tell the truth or would she lie? Which would be harder for him to hear? Either way, she had to go and answer the call of StarClan.

Slowly, she stood on her paws and gave a little stretch. That's when she felt something incredible: a tiny, little kick from within her belly. She jumped slightly, surprised at the sensation. Then she smiled softly and stroked her stomach with her tail.

"There, there, little ones," Hopeflame murmured so she wouldn't wake Brambleclaw. "Mama's just going for a night stroll."

She peeked her head out of the deputy den to take in the camp clearing. For a moment, she paused to listen for any signs of movement. Four sentries stood guard: Mousefur, Jaggedtooth, Swiftwind, and Fawnstep. They were all former TigerClan and ShadowClan warriors, clearly Tigerstar didn't trust the new arrivals.

Hopeflame decided to sneak through the dirtplace. She didn't want anyone to question her comings and goings, especially with tensions so high among the clan. Quietly, she approached the dirtplace entrance and slipped inside without alerting any of the sentries. Her nose turned up at the stench of the dirtplace, but she ignored it.

Luckily, Hopeflame found a gap underneath the brambles where she could slip through. The brambles pricked at her pelt like little claws as she crawled through. Once on the other side, she turned towards the moors then took off at a run.

The tree canopy overhead blocked out most of the moonlight, but thin strands peeked through. Hopeflame breathed in the fresh air as she ran, enjoying the feeling of it blowing in her long fur. She weaved through the undergrowth with as much speed and grace as a deer. Her paws hardly made a sound on the forest floor.

A thin layer of snow covered the ground and clung to the branches high above. The chill of leaf-bare hung in the air, a reminder that the forest was somewhat dormant. Many of the forest animals would be hibernating.

A few moments later, through the thinning trees, Hopeflame glimpsed the moors. Her time in WindClan came flooding back as she took her first steps out into the open. Hopeflame remembered Tawnyfur's patience when she trained her to be a WindClan cat.

Suddenly, Hopeflame realized that she had absolutely no clue what to do once she reached Highstones. Growing up in TigerClan,  no one ever taught her about the mysteries of Highstones, nor what cats did once they got there. A sinking feeling settled in her belly and she slowed to a brisk trot.

What was she doing? Highstones was forbidden amongst TigerClan. Was she really going to disobey the Code just to satisfy her own curiosity? She shook her head, dismissing those thoughts. Now wasn't the time to question her actions. This was something that she needed to do.

An idea came to mind: she could stop by Barley's farm. With him living so close to Highstones, he might have an idea about it. With her decision made, she picked up the pace and changed her direction to Barley's farm.

After what seemed like only a few heartbeats, Hopeflame stood outside the barn where Barley and his family lived. Her mind flew back to the last time she was here, when Ravenpaw revealed to her the extent of Tigerstar's tragedy. How have things changed so quickly?

"Who's there?!" A voice from within the barn called out.

"It's me," She replied, a little tentative. "Hopeflame."

Stepping from the shadows, Barley wore suspicion and hatred equally well. At his flanks were Sunny and Rosie, each of them glaring at her with rivaling stares. They eyed her as if they were unsure what to make of her.

"Look," Hopeflame took a deep breath, her shoulders heaving, "I know that I've given you no reason to trust me, but I come in peace."

"That's what we thought last time before you turned on us in the heat of battle!" Sunny snarled, his fangs glinting in the moonlight.

Barley silenced his son with a low growl before facing Hopeflame once more. "What do you want?" His amber eyes were colder than a frozen stream.

Hopeflame bowed her head respectfully. "I believe that Graystripe has come to me in a dream. He warned me that I must visit Highstones, but I have no idea how to proceed."

Something like realization filled Barley's eyes. "Why would StarClan speak to you?"

"I haven't the slightest idea," She admitted, lowering her head in shame. "But I come asking for your help."

"Why should we help you?" Rosie hissed, her hackles raised. Anger burned in her green eyes.

"I-I have no reason to give," Hopeflame murmured softly. Very slowly, she raised her gaze to meet theirs. "But maybe, StarClan has a mission of their own."

Barley thought deeply for a moment, staring at her pensively. Then, he responded: "I will accompany you to Highstones." Sunny and Rosie spoke up in an uproar, but Barley quickly silenced them. "I am not one to stand in the way of StarClan. If it is truly StarClan's wish to speak with you, then I will help you on your journey."

He nodded to Sunny and Rosie. "Tell your mother and sister that I'll return before dawn." Then, he turned to Hopeflame: "Shall we?"

Hopeflame brightened in excitement. This was it! She was going to visit Highstones! Barley led the way away from the farm. In the distance, Hopeflame could already see the rising stones against the skyline.

After all the running, Hopeflame began to feel exhausted. She didn't realize that her slightly swollen belly was enough to drain energy from her. Against her will, she slowed to catch her breath. Barley paused and turned back when he realized she wasn't following.

He padded up to her calmly then asked, "When are they due?"

"Excuse me?" Hopeflame asked, eyes widening with surprise.

"The kits." Barley featured towards her stomach. "You're clearly expecting."

"Not for another moon." Hopeflame replied.

"Congratulations," Barley meowed. "You must be excited."

She nodded eagerly. "Yes, but the timing couldn't be worse." Her tone became somber. "I don't want my kits growing up in a clan that is divided."

"Yes," Barley nodded, agreeing. "But life goes on." He nodded towards Highstones. "And StarClan doesn't like to wait."

Hopeflame took a deep breath before following Barley. He was right: life would go on.

And StarClan didn't like to be kept waiting.