43

-----(time skip)------

Ashlyn's pov:

It had been another few days since Maya's return. Ash, Maya, and Liam had spent the time at the Avengers Tower. Steve had insisted they stay at least until the funeral and Ash didn't bother disagreeing. Ash had ended up being the one to tell Liam was Jack was dead, Liam hadn't taken it well. Ash had also heard Maya crying as she passed her room in the halls. Ash hadn't cried, although she had wanted to. Jack was just gone, she hadn't let herself fully except that. Sure she had watched the Hydra agent shoot him, but it was all a dream, right? Jack would be back, of course, he would.

Ash was currently standing in the cemetery. In front of her was a tombstone with Jack's name on it. They hadn't had any big service or anything like that, Lucas, Ryder, and Henry came to pay their respects but other than that Ash and Maya just watched as they put his body into the ground. Ash had given herself time. She had kept telling herself over and over for the past few days that Jack wasn't gone, he couldn't be gone. But with Maya grieving and Liam who had been trying not to seem too sad, it was getting harder to push it away. Today was the last day of Ash's break. Starting tomorrow Ash would put all her focus on her mission, ending the orphanage.

Ash took one last look at the grave in front of her and sighed. In the corner of her eye she could see Steve standing in the distance, he was standing next to a different tombstone. Ash made her way towards him.

Steve looked up when he heard approaching footsteps and he smiled at Ash. Ash looked past him toward the grave.

The words 'Katherine Riley' was engraved on the rock.

"Is this her?" Asked Ash, Steve nodded.

Ash looked down at the grave, there were fresh flowers placed there that Ash was sure Steve had just put. There were a few weeds and other plants nearby showing that the grave had been there for a least a couple of years.

"Riley" Ash tested the name on her tongue, she liked it "Ashlyn Riley"

Ash had a question she wanted to ask but it would ruin her whole 'not caring' persona. But Ash was feeling sentimental at the moment so what the heck?!

"Can you tell me a little about her?"

Steve's pov:

"Riley, Ashlyn Riley"

Steve realized that this was the first time she learned about her last name. Steve mentally slapped himself for not remembering to tell her sooner.

"Can you tell me a little about her?"

Steve froze, he hadn't been expecting that question. Ashlyn kept her gaze on the grave and Steve smiled.

"I don't know where to start" Steve admitted as he also looked down at the grave.

"The beginning is always nice."

Ashlyn took a seat on the grass and Steve followed her motion.

"Well, Katherine Riley was nineteen when I met her. She was always the life of the party, always excited to learn" Steve laid back and closed his eyes as he remembered exactly how she was seventeen years ago.

"She was dating this guy, Cody, I think was his name. He was a jerk, the total opposite of her. Always getting into fights and stuff but as much as I tried to get her to leave him, she never did. Katie and I became good friends, she helped me move on with the past, showed me how to get used to the way life is now. Eventually, I fell in love with her"

Steve could tell that Ashlyn was looking at him, but he kept his eyes closed and continued.

"Don't know how anyone could know her and not fall in love with her, she was beautiful, inside and out. When I told her how I felt she confessed her love for me too, I was so happy. The only problem was, she was still dating that jerk, Cody. I started taking her on dates and fun little adventures, I knew it was wrong since she was still in a relationship but he was always away with other girls anyway and she deserved somebody to take care of her."

Emerald Assassin X Avengers (an Avengers Fanfic)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें