7. Formally Speaking

S1E7 Formally Speaking

COLD OPEN

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

Amos secured the last rubber hook-thing connecting a tarp to his truck, keeping his stuff safe.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" Vincent made his way through the mess of a back door his apartment had. Since he didn't need or have a car, Amos was able to use his space.

"Don't worry about it, man." Amos tested the straps. "I'm fine." He wanted for a moment to test the tarp again before deciding it was plenty secure. "Thanks again for letting me crash here."

"It's nothing." Vincent held his hand up to calm him. "You kept me out of trouble in High School, I oughta keep you out of trouble with your folks."

"I thought it was you keeping me out of trouble." Vincent rolled his eyed in half-dismissal and half-agreement.

"Where you gonna stay 'till classes start?"

"The dorms reopen early in the winter." Amos entered his truck. "Oh, and thanks again for keeping an eye on my stuff."

"It's the least I can do! Stop thanking me." Vincent chuckled.

"I make no promises." Amos turned on the truck before backing it out of the parking space. "Bye, man!"

"Don't blow anything up before I can visit!"

The Theme Song, a glorious merging of John Williams and Ron Wasserman, plays.

ARCHMAGE
Created by Seth Campbell

FORMALLY SPEAKING
Written by Seth Campbell

PART ONE

ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA

Tom finally got his Mac to connect to the local network, making a mental note to complain to one of the Deans. His thought was cut short with Amos entering, arms full of tangled wires and what was most likely his PC.

"Hey man, how's it going?" Tom smiled as Amos set his console on the floor next to his desk where he dumped the rest of what he was holding.

"Don't." Amos pulled out the power cord.

"Don't what?"

"I didn't have a good break." Amos gave Tom the look of death and he decided not to press further.

"So, what classes you got?" Amos fished a sheet of paper from a box.

"I've got more Algebra, Science, Sociology, and something called 'Keystone'." Amos shrugged as Tom started stacking his textbooks next to his computer.

"Oh God, I had that last semester. It's this dumb thing, you gotta watch a bunch of motivational speakers."

"Ouch." Amos gulped. "Thank God I'm going to the dance. One last night of freedom."

"Oh, you going? Who with?"

"Ellen." Tom raised his eyebrows as Amos started making his bed.

"Sweet."

After unloading and organizing his crap, Amos decided to indulge himself with a trip to the bookstore. He entered to see that Maris was chatting it up with an old dude; he had a powerful laugh.

"Hey there," he got their attention. "Don't tell me you're seeing someone else, now." Maris laughed at his joke.

"Hey Amos." She gestured to the man. "This is Jakub Dadik." Amos was surprised anyone could either have or even pronounce a name like that.