8. The Oracle of Mages

S1E8 The Oracle of Mages

COLD OPEN

ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA

George Dollins had no idea what the Hell he was doing as he poured a molten patchwork of candle wax into the shape of a circle around a dead possum he found by the highway. He then lit a series of votive candles that he shoplifted only a couple hours prior. He assured himself that the circle being lopsided wouldn't be a problem. Draped in nothing but an oversized black cloak he pocketed from a thrift store, he knelt by the circle's edge.

"Great powers of darkness," he stuttered. "I bequeath you a sacrifice in exchange for a great boon. Hear my words!" With those last words, he wasn't stuttering anymore.

The moment the words escaped his lips, a great clap of thunder and plume of smoke sprung from the circle. Out of this plume, a cold and translucent figure condensed before setting its slim legs on the floor, its body above the waist remaining uncondensed.

"Who calls me?!" The figure's piercing red eyes shined through the cloud onto George, who quickly realized that his cloak wasn't large enough to cover what needed to be covered. In panic, he quickly scrambled and stretched his robe shut to shield his manhood. "Why are you naked?"

"I... don't know." He blushed. The demon looked down at him in half-distain and half-embarrassment.

"Doctor Faustus, you are not." George gulped, fearing for his life. "But not without worth," the demon had a plan. "I propose a bargain..."

The Theme Song, a glorious merging of John Williams and Ron Wasserman, plays.

ARCHMAGE
Created by Seth Campbell

THE ORACLE OF MAGES
Written by Seth Campbell

PART ONE

The dorm room was silent save for Amos occasionally turning the pages of a journal and Tom clacking on his keyboard. While Tom tried to do his math homework Amos rifled loudly through the journal. He hadn't put it down since he had gotten it.

"Wait a minute," Tom tried to ignore Amos's verbal responses to whatever he was reading. "This says Daywalkers are incapable of hurting Vampires." The volume had multiple entries on many creatures of the magical persuasion. "Someone should've told that to Bill."

"If that thing starts telling you to start writing shit on the walls in blood; you'd tell me, right?"

"Alright... Tom."

"...Point."

After another hour of driving Tom nuts, Amos had been banished from the dorm. He decided to crash at the bookstore. He didn't mind, it was a more appropriate place to do his reading, anyway. Not even trying to continue his prying into the journal, he elected to browsing the stacks.

While looking through a collection of fantasy novels from the '80s, the bell above the door rang to announce George's entrance. Amos didn't notice him as he walked up to where he was.

"Hey," Amos turned his head away from the books to George. "Oh, I hear that one was good." He pointed to a small paperback of medium thickness with a flamboyant knight riding a horse with a couple compatriots following on horseback as well.

"Oh," Amos plucked the book from the shelf to read the back cover. "Thanks..." He pivoted his head at George to signal that he didn't know his name.

"George," he offered his hand for Amos to shake it. "George Dollins," Amos returned the favor.

"Amos Hammond," he looked around. "So you like books?"

"Oh yeah." George gave a silly smile while he nodded. "What kind of books are you into?"