37. The shock

Double Bonus ;)

R u ready with ur tissues?

********************

"Hyeongsunim" Jeongguk called out and this time, his voice dripped with an authority that Nayeon couldn't go against. She froze once again with her back facing him.

"Are you hiding something from us?" he asked from behind her. 

"M-Me? No" she said and within a flash, Jeongguk placed a dagger next to her throat, making her freeze more, if that was even possible. 

She looked down at the pointed edge of the dagger that she could see at the side of her throat without bending her head and could hear the roaring rush of blood in her head. 

"You do know that you are being suspicious right now, right?" he asked. 

"I...I am not...I...." and she slumped forward, her body giving in to stress and snatching her consciousness away from her. Jeongguk reacted in time and caught her before she could fall face first and hurt both herself and her child. 

"Hyeongsunim!!" he exclaimed loudly. "Who's there?!" he yelled, attracting the attention of a few guards around. "Bring Hyeongsunim to my mansion" he ordered and walked behind them to ensure her safety. 

"W-What happened to her?!" Seokjin exclaimed the second the guards entered Jeongguk's bedroom. "Eonnie!!" Jeongyeon exclaimed and ran forward to take a closer look. "Place her on the bed" she ordered the guards. 

"Leave" Jeongguk dismissed them after the task was done and sat down on one of the chairs in the room along with Yoongi, Hoseok, Taehyung and Jimin. Jeongyeon sat next to Nayeon's legs and tried to release some tension by massaging her legs while Seokjin sat next to her head and held her hand in his. 

"What happened?" he asked again. Jeongguk explained the events to them. "I didn't think she would faint like that" he said at the end to defend himself. 

"Jeongguk-ah. I've told you before as well, and I don't think I'll ever get tired to tell you that pointing daggers and swords at someone isn't the only way to extract answers from them. You could have blackmailed her or something. Violence is never the answer" Taehyung said. 

Jeongguk looked down at his lap. "I am sorry" he said. "It's alright. I would have done the same thing if I were in your place" Seokjin said and forgave Jeongguk immediately. 

If there was something that he had learnt from the epiphany that he had had a few minutes ago, it was that staying angry at someone was never the right thing to do. It was always better to know the other side of the story as well. 

His stubbornness to not yield had led him to ignore and mistreat his innocent brother for more than four months and it killed him in the inside. 

"Alright. Let's talk about the present issue" Yoongi said. "Yeah. Tae hyung was saying something, right?" Jeongguk asked. "Yeah. It's Guk Du-ssi. He is the one whose back looks like Namjoon hyung" Taehyung said. 

"Are you sure?" Hoseok asked. 

"Yeah. Hundred percent sure. Jimin and I were taking a walk in the gardens about a couple of weeks after you guys returned from the war and we mistook Guk du-ssi for Namjoon hyung because their backs looked exactly alike. Yoongi hyung was there too" Taehyung said. 

"RIGHT!!!" Yoongi exclaimed loudly, remembering the incident that Taehyung was talking about. "How did I forget that?! He joined about three months before the war broke out, right?" Yoongi asked, unknowingly stabbing Seokjin hard with his words. 

The incident had taken place three months before the war broke out. That was when he had stopped talking to his dear poor brother, because he looked at the man's back and had thought it was him. 

"Is it? I don't remember," Jeongguk frowned, "but I am sure Hyeongsunim is hiding something from us" he said. 

"I know she is" Seokjin said, making Nayeon's breath hitch. She had gained her consciousness almost immediately, but had pretended to remain unconscious so that she could check the waters before jumping into it. 

"Nayeon-ah?" he called out. "I know you are awake...." he said after a while, making her open her eyes guiltily. 

"Are you alright?" he asked, helping her up to a sitting position gently. "Yes" she said in a low voice. "Good. Do you want to tell us what you are hiding from us?" he asked. 

"N-Nothing" she stuttered. "Stop that" he said and bent down to her ear. "I know you are hiding something. I've seen you with In Guk Du-ssi once. I've seen you beg him not to tell me something. The only reason I did not interfere at that time was because you looked really serious when you said that you would jump off the castle if I came to know about it" he whispered as he didn't want to expose her in front of everyone. 

Nayeon's eyes widened and soon, a stream of tears started running down her face. "That incident made me doubt my brother, Jagiya. It made me treat him like trash for something that he had never done. So if you feel even a little bit guilty for what happened between me and Namjoon, you better start talking" he said. 

The rest frowned at Seokjin, but respected their privacy. Nayeon took a deep breath. She knew she was going to die anyway. If not by Seokjin's hands tonight, then by In Guk Du's hands some other night. 

"I-I....I had an illegal child before marriage" she started after gathering up her courage, making everyone's eyebrows shoot up to their hairlines. 

"Only my parents knew about it. When His Majesty approached my father with the marriage proposal, my father decided that it would be best not to mention it to your father. I tried to hide it from you, but In Guk Du-ssi found out somehow, and has been threatening me ever since the day he joined the Palace staff" she said. 

"What has he been threatening you with?" Seokjin asked. 

"That he would kill her. Her father is taking care of her and I go to see her a few times, but he somehow found out about it and has been threatening me with it" she cried. 

"In return for what?" Seokjin asked. 

"Military secrets" she whispered. 

Jeongguk's blood ran cold. Not just him, but every single person in the room froze. "Military secrets....?" he asked. 

"In return, he said he would leave me, her and my unborn child alone" she cried harder, realizing that her husband's hands were no longer around hers. 

"D-Did you give him the secrets?" Seokjin asked. She shook her head. "I said I would after giving birth to the child" she said, placing her hand on her belly. 

There was pin drop silence in the room. No one dared to voice their thoughts out loud. 

"Hoseok hyung" Jeongguk whispered after a while. 

"Hmm?" 

"Execute Royal Chef In Guk Du for treason the first thing tomorrow" he ordered in a low voice, sending chills down every spine in the room. 

"Yes, Your Majesty" Hoseok stood up and bowed down immediately as it was an order from the King. Jeongguk gave him a nod and gestured to him to take his seat. 

"How did Namjoon hyung know about this?" Jimin asked after a while, sending another chill down everyone's spine. 

"He said he'd tell us the details after returning, right? Let's wait for him" Seokjin said. He wanted nothing more than to see his brother and apologize to him for what he had been doing all these days. 

He wanted nothing more than to run to him and give him a long hug and tell him that he loved him. He wanted nothing more than to smile with him once again. 

That dawn, Namjoon's chariot returned alone with a warrior's body in it, and boy did Seokjin care. 

If only he could hold him one last time. If only he could apologize one last time. If only he could see him one last time.