II. Eternal

A/N: I can't tell you how happy I am with the response I got with the first chapter! I have brilliant hopes for this story, and I hope you guys stay with me for the journey of my first fanfic. Thank you all. *Comments greatly appreaciated! x*

May 14th, 2003

"Make a wish! Make a wish!"

"Wish for a GI Joe tank!"

"No, wish for a Barbie dream house!"

Under the brim of her party hat, Sydney glanced at the various camcorders, pink balloons and hyper expressions of her classmates. It was Sydney's 9th birthday, and the sky was beautifully sunny and blue and the air lacked any sort of chilliness. Her father was recording the moment intently, his daughter wearing a light blue sundress to match her eyes and gold-glittered sandals he had given her as a present as she prepared to blow out all 9 candles on her birthday cake.

While all her other classmates stood in front of the plastic picnic table, one classmate was not. With a hand placed on her back and matching party hat, a curly headed boy grinned as his best friend shied away from the flashing bulbs of parents and the demands on what she should wish for.

"Come on Sydney, think of one thing you want more than anything else."

Sydney glanced at Harry, wondering what she could possibly want. She had endless amounts of Barbies, the gold sandals her father had bought for her, her dog Clift and a great best friend. What more can she want?

She flashed her eyes back and forth scenes. Harry. Her Dad. Classmates. Classmates. Dad. Harry.

"Come on Sydney! Make a wish already!"

"I want cake!"

"Sydney, honey; make a wish."

"Hurry up!"

And with the last demand, the candles flames whisked into a rising smoke as she blew out all 9 in one singular breath. Parents of the kids clapped while the kids blew on party whistles and her dad teared up, but Sydney was the only one who knew of the popularly demanded "wish."

Well, not for long.

"What'd you wish for?" Harry whispered into her ear, as he grinned from dimple to dimple.

Sydney turned to him, her young eyes taking in his presence. His eyes shimmered with sunlight and happiness and his hair curled upwards from sweat. She duplicated his smile and beamed at him.

"I can't tell you! Or else it won't come true," she teased, poking at his shoulder.

Opposed to her tone, Sydney wasn't teasing one bit. She believed that much in her pressured wish, she didn't want to jeopardize its outcome. What she wished for on her 9th birthday didn't concern any GI Joe tanks, Barbie dream houses or more Barbie's to go with a dream house.

Her wish was for things to stay like this forever.

Her dad had caught this moment all on tape.

Walking to John's house, I debated whether I should really do what I was about to do. John was my first real boyfriend, and breaking up with him over some drunken words might be too much, too soon. While I was in a midst of my doubt, I felt my phone vibrating against the front pocket of my dress. Taking it out, I squinted at the poorly lit screen but I could make out the words.

From: Harry Styles x

I believe in you babe, remember that this is for the best. I love you and call me right after. Xx