XVI. Necessity

A/N: No real authors note, but if there isnt' an author's note I start feeling weird... so, yeah. HERE'S YOUR AUTHORS NOTE AND ENJOY THE SIXTEENTH CHAPTER. x

June 8th, 2011

Hair?

Check.

Dress?

Check.

Makeup?

Almost check.

Sydney had recited this mental checklist approximately thirteen times, not counting yesterday or the day before, or the day before that. She sat cross legged in her bathroom sink, wearing sweats and a baggy old t-shirt, her hair in an up-do that cascaded in small ringlets down her neck as she applied her black mascara and raspberry tinted lipstick from Maybelline simultaneously. She didn’t bother to make the slightest smudge of either for she was simply too excited to make mistakes. The reason being, that it was her and the rest of Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School’s Prom.

Along with her sudden consciousness, she thought up the mindset that she had to look perfect if the night was going to be as well. Her date, superstar of HCCS’s popular football team and prospective boyfriend, Scott Michaelson, would pick her up in his white Jeep Liberty in a mere ten minutes, carrying the bluebell and lily corsage she had asked for, suited in all black with his aquamarine tie peeking out to match her dress and wearing his best, vivacious smirk.

He’d whisper into her ear how beautiful she looked and caress her corsage clad wrist as he helped her into the passenger seat of his Jeep while he would drive off into the greatest night of their teenage lives. It would all be perfect, in ten minutes.

A night of perfection may have been a far stride for her to await, but it had become a necessity for her since her life was far from it. Her father, or more appropriately “Dan,” had left her for good almost a month ago to this date. Since the Parent Exclusion Act was enacted as of right now, any minor over sixteen and under eighteen would reap health benefits and money from the government.

Her father had paid off their entire house the moment he bought it due to his then business mogul status, so Sydney only had to pay utilities. With her job at the ice cream shop and extra payment from the government, she had managed to live relatively comfortable. It may have not been the pristine dream family she once had, but it was the second best thing under the circumstances.

Detangling her legs out from beneath her, she hopped off her seat on the sink and walked towards her bed, examining her prom dress spread out upon it. The Grecian esque dress was one shouldered, its periwinkle color unraveling into graceful ruffles reaching beyond the bottom. The crystal beading embellished into a line just north of her naval, that accentuated her natural curves but still kept her petite physique intact. It was revealing enough to make a statement, yet subtle enough to hide any impeding natural imperfections that could damper her dream of a night.

Glancing on the clock, she realized she had a ticking time of seven minutes remaining until her glorious night would begin by Scott arriving. Swiping her dress off the bed, she stepped into its unzipped form and tugged it up to her waist line, placing her arm through the one strap on her right shoulder. As she began to zip up the dress, she saw her night falling into its general shape in the long mirror placed in front of her now relaxed body. The dress fit like a glove on her small figure and embraced her in all the right places. She even admitted to herself that she had looked close to a goddess, one that this style of dress would’ve been reserved for thousands of years back.

Twirling and twisting in ballerina turns in front of the mirror, she watched the lavender waves of chiffon and ruffles sway beneath her elegantly, like a peacock fanning out its beautiful feathers from behind.