One

20 minutes.

Riordan

Caleb Greene is going to die tonight.

And as much I'd love to use the word 'die' in a joking manner--as in: roughing him up with no serious bodily harm--I can't.

I can't because in a matter of minutes, that'll be his actual reality.

Now, I have nothing to do with Caleb's death, but I know exactly how he will die, when he will die, and what ultimately kills him.

Running across town in rugby cleats to save the biggest asshole that graced the halls of Cyrus Dean was not how I pictured my Friday night.

Crying in frustration at my failed attempt to save his life was not how I pictured my Saturday morning either.

~~~

Friday, 12:47pm. 12 hours till.

''Fuck off, Petracelli, I'm not entertaining your shit anymore.''

''WHOA--Way to let a gay down easy. I won't stop asking till you say yes, though. You know you love me, so at least think about it.'' Valencia winks at Martie and waltzes towards the school building.

''Val's not gonna give up anytime soon, Martie. Shift over a bit.'' Martie makes room for me in the back of the crowded truck bed--our slightly uncomfortable mini-cafeteria.

''I am not going out with Valencia Petracelli come hell or high water.''

''You're into Val--why won't you admit it?''

Martie scoffs before taking a bite of her sandwich, ''As if.''

I knew this for a fact. She never explicitly tells me how she feels about anyone, but she doesn't have to--I always know.

My stomach grumbled. ''Where the hell is he?''

Every second counts.

''Give him time, Riordan, he's usually late.''

''Time is one thing I wish I had more of today,'' I mumble to myself while staring at my cold and untouched one-minute noodles.

''Would you look at that! Mr. Immortal is here with three minutes left to spare of the lunch break.'' Martie spreads her crossed legs out to take up more space.

''Move over, idiot.'' Thor grunts.

''Not a chance.''

''Don't make me put you in your place, Blake Marshall.''

''Call me that again and see what happens--''

''SHUT UP-- BOTH OF YOU!'' Everyone fell silent as I regained composure.

''Thor. We need to talk. Martie, you have a Biology quiz that starts after the bell--if you miss or fail it, I will not hesitate to feed your fingertips to hungry piranhas.''

Martie rolls her eyes and starts packing her things up while Thor pulls me out the back of his truck.

''Shit--you're right, Forbes is making me come ten minutes early for all of his classes as punishment for being tardy all week. I'll catch up with you guys later.''

Martie winks at me before running off into the school building and my first visceral reaction is to flip her off.

''What was that about? Does she still think we're secretly dating?'' Thor pulled a cigarette out from behind his ear and tucks it between his lips.