Twenty Five

Amalia

Present Day

I'd never seen anything like it. It hurt my head just looking at it. I was blown away by the time the spirit walked in the classroom, and when I tried to come back, its energy scared me off. Everything happened so fast.

The thing showed up.

Then it pushed me aside without trying, and I ended up in the rugby field.

It was going to hurt Riordan. It was going to hurt everyone in that classroom. I didn't want anything bad to happen to her. She's the only living person I can talk to, but I was too scared to go back inside.

I kicked a pebble around while sitting on one of the field benches. The grass was perfect.

Riordan was invested in finding more info about me. It had been a while since anyone cared for me in that manner.

As much as I hated that Riordan hurt my brother moments earlier, I knew why she did it.

I watched her in the library, on top of him, making him yell. I wanted to stop her but I couldn't. He called her friend a mean name that I'd heard a person call him once. My brother became a bully.

He became the people that we didn't like.

I've seen Phoe hurt others. Use them to get his way. As much as I love him, I'm mad that he betrayed me the way he did. I was his only girl.

Watching him these last few months, I realized some things about him. Phoe wanted more than he could have. With school, with people. He wanted the only girl that saw me too.

He's messed things up with Riordan and knowing his temper, I'm not sure what crap he's gonna tell his friends.

All I wanted was to run out of this stupid school and go home but every time I try to leave, I end up right back where I started; in the playground.

A few years ago when I was all new to death, I tried everything to get out of Cyrus. I ran. I tried sneaking out. Heck, I even tried attaching myself to students who were about to leave and nothing ever worked.

I got to see my brother win rugby games for his team, I got to see the last three classes graduate. I learnt new things from girl's conversations when passing the hall or eavesdropping on them in the locker rooms.

I got to see how their bodies looked and wondered why I hadn't grown enough to look like them yet.

Acting like I was in place of the friends they spoke to, making my own responses.

But I'll never be like them.

Someone took all of those special moments I saw everyday away from me.

I will never get a chance to do what I want to do, or be who I want to be and that makes me so mad.

So angry that I will use the rest of my afterlife to haunt the person that stripped me of my world before it even started.

~~~

Riordan

Our kitchen sink is disgusting.