Chapter 4

A month later

This is it. 

Today is the day.

I am getting married.

To a man I barely even know.

The makeup artist is just putting finishing touches on my face, I asked her to keep it plain and simple and thankfully she did. The stress of planning my 'wedding' for the last month was clearly visible on my face. I hadn't been much interested, most of my work was delegated.

The off shoulder gown with lace sleeves showed off my collarbones that had been protruding more since the merger. The bodice was also made of lace and fit me perfectly. It had a mermaid cut which accentuated my curves, not that I had many. My sharp shoulders were highlighted because of my hair in an updo , with a few strands falling out to frame my face. 

I had a rosy glow and just teensy bit puffy eyes.Because of all the crying last night.

Emilia pulls out my veil from the box with a flourishing 'Taa-daa'.

Ava is still pouting as she buckles up my heels.She's mad at me because I refused to have a bachelorette, I just didn't feel like it. But I do have a feeling that she'll be fine soon enough.

I heard the door open and Ava jumped up to open it and let Asher in. "You look great," Asher says softly to Ava at which  she blushed, something that is very unusual for her. Holding the door with one hand,"You don't look so bad yourself." she says to Asher. He laughed it off and came towards me, his eyes were a bit puffy. Had he been crying? Did he not get enough sleep last night? A small smile rested on his face.

But before I could say anything, he asked me,"Ready?".

"As I'll ever be." I breathed in and smiled at him.

He kissed me on the forehead,"Dad will come by in a minute. I talked to Ethan and I warned him if he ever let anything happen to you, I will be the one to put him in his place." I chuckled a bit but it died shortly.

He pulled out mom's bracelet from his pocket that had a tiny chain of sapphire gems wrapped around it. "Let this be your something old, blue and borrowed." He says and puts it around my wrist without looking at me.

I nodded, deep in thought. Asher and I were close but he had never been this overprotective of me. Even this slight show of affection from him was unusual, we always fought like kids but today it felt like everything is changing. 

"You look beautiful, you're just missing your big red nose and that colourful wig " ...And he is back, I swatted him on the shoulder but he hugged me instead. Wishing me a 'good luck' he finally left.

With a deep breath I took one last look at mom's picture and walked out of the room with Emilia and Ava right behind me.

"Hi, honey. You look just like your Mom today," Dad said with a hoarse voice "If you want to back out now, you have the chance and no one will say a word to you."

"No dad, I want to do this" I smiled at him.

He took my hand and together we walked down the aisle. At the end there stood Ethan in all his glory. Wearing a fitted black tux with matching tie. He had an ivory coloured flower in his pocket, that matched my dress.Nice touch. I wasn't exactly elated as I walked down the aisle. Ethan and I had not exchanged a single word in the past month.

My eyes started looking around. Anywhere but at Ethan.The first row was filled by Mr. and Mrs. Carter, Asher, my aunt and other close relatives. Followed by other business associates and friends.When we reached the end, Ethan took my hand in his and helped me up the podium.