Chapter 12

It was a normal day at work until Ethan decided to show up.

He seemed angry. But this man had mastered the art of hiding his emotions.I knew he was angry because the way his jaw had gone taut.

"What do you think you're doing Skylar?"He looked at me with a scrutinising look , in his normal voice. But I could sense the anger by the way my name left his mouth.

"I am working as usual." I said without bothering to look at him. 

I knew what this was about. Me taking over the project he had been working on for the last year and a half. What he didn't know that Mr.Zane personally asked me to interfere in this.He owned the space and wanted to build his new office building there, he loved my last project and since we're now merged he asked me to influence the finishing structure.

"You think you can just march around as all high and mighty and take over my projects? I have worked on this for the last 18 months and if you think you can just take away all the credit by entering into it the last minute then you're highly mistaken."His voice had gone a pitch deeper, which was much more intimidating and scary than shouting.

"Ethan it's not what you think it is.Mr. Zane came by earlier this month to ask me to look into the finishing touches.I do not want any credit on something that you've worked on for so long."I told him calmly, finally looking at him.

"I do not care. You could've straight out refused him and tell him that since this is my project, I get to be the one to finish it."

"You're telling me that I present myself hostile to someone who just asked for my help? What is the big deal? I'll just look into the plans and add some touches, you're being ridiculously unreasonable right now."

He started moving towards me. I wasn't scared of him. I won't back out.

"You think I'm the one being unreasonable?"He looked me in the eye, his eyes had turned the darkest colour, almost black.

He lifted his hands and tore the building plan he had.I was shocked.

"How about you take the entire responsibility for this one?" He said slowly, while handing me the torn pieces.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?!Those plans took months to be drawn up , not to mention that's your  and mine, both our work down the drain."I glared at him , furiously.

He didn't answer me.

Our faces were very near. I could hear him breath , I hope he couldn't hear my fast pacing heart.He moved close, now only a hair's breadth away.My breaths were coming out ragged now.I almost closed my eyes when he suddenly backed off.

I saw Andrea coming in with some files."Good morning Mr.Carter" He nodded towards her.

"I suggest you get started on this quickly, darling." He kissed my forehead and all I wanted was to strangle him right there.

"Mr. Zane is a very important client, we wouldn't want to disappoint him now, would we?"He cocked his head at me and without waiting for a response walked out.

How dare he come into my office and threaten me?

"Andrea, you can keep the file on my desk." I bit out.

I cannot believe how egoist this man is. I need to set up a meeting with Mr.Zane by tomorrow to ask for more time.I just wish I could tell him that his impulsive architect just went ahead and threw out all the progress.

The rest of the day went by in a blur and before I knew it was 5 pm. I had to go to Dad's today, it was Aunt Eden's surprise party. And it was going to be difficult to act all happy after every bone in body was radiating off anger.