Chapter 16

Friday evening. We're going to Aspen tomorrow! I was currently seated in a high end beauty salon along with Ava and Emilia on their insistence. So far we've gotten a full body wax, our eyebrows done and facials.We were in the midst of manis and pedis.

"Chris won't be coming tomorrow." Emilia mentioned out of the blue.

"But you're still coming right?" Ava asked.

"Yeah, but I am gonna be the only one alone there."

I chuckled and they both glanced at me. I was miserable, I was the one who wasn't gonna have a real partner but keep up appearances.I cleared my throat, "I'm sorry, Emilia.But hey, you're not gonna be the only one alone there. Ethan's friend Ace is also there without anyone. " She nodded, uninterested. Chris had been very distant from Emilia lately. I wondered why but I didn't want to bring up the topic or everyone's mood will go down.

"Alright then, bright and early tomorrow, we leave for Aspen!" I cheered.

--*--

"Wow, it's even more beautiful than I imagined it to be." I stood in front of a wooden villa , calling it a cabin would be too humble.It was surrounded by dense trees on it's 3 sides and the front gate opened to a lavish driveway which went on for miles.

Liam just chuckled. "Come on in, it's too cold." Ethan was already on his way in.

"You know, Skylar? It's been years since Ethan last came here. He hasn't taken a day off in 7 years and has worked his ass off. Going to Hawaii and then coming here within one year is wondrous.Even Dad was shocked because he never even took a sick leave."

"What? 7 years?! The day he was sick, he insisted to go to work I had to drag him home! Do you know why is he so closed off and immersed himself into work?"

"Eh, I never really knew the exact reason but as far as I know, Dad and him were always at odds about something and when he ascended the position, he decided to immerse himself in work.Maybe he'll tell you if you ask him."

"Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen." I muttered under my breath. I was sympathetic to him but I couldn't really empathise with him. Not until I knew why he is the way he is.

The cabin was warm, a great relief from the chilly winds that were blowing outside. Ethan and Ace had already made themselves comfortable on the couch with glasses of scotch.

"Skylar! It's nice to see you again." Ace exclaimed as he saw me.

"You too, Ace." I smiled at him.

Asher, Ava and Emilia came in just a moment later.

"Hey! You guys made it!" Zach exclaimed.

Emilia was shivering, she never was the one who could handle too much cold. As I moved towards her, I saw Ace draping a blanket over her.

"I think you should sit near the fireplace." He suggested to her.

Em was shocked and she just nodded slowly.

"Okay, everyone ! Freshen up and then we can think about what to do for dinner since we don't have a cook." Everyone dispersed to their rooms except Em and Ace who were still sitting near the fireplace. And then it dawned on me. Ethan and I would have to share a room, damnit.

I followed him upstairs and we entered a room. It was beautiful but smaller compared to our rooms in the penthouse. Again, there was only one bed. I'm tired of this happening again and again. It being this cold, there was no chance any of us were gonna sleep on the couch.

Ethan was near the fireplace of our room, trying to light it up with the remote.

After a while both of us had freshened up and we went downstairs, only to see everyone sitting cozily with each other near the fireplace, except Em and Ace, they maintained a distance. I could see something between the two of them but I cannot acknowledge it unless they see it for themselves, plus Em and Chris are together.