CHAPTER 61

"It's about Christopher Harris."

My eyes grow wide in disbelief when my dad says that. "How...how do you know?" I stutter, looking a bit shocked.

He looks into my eyes, and then his lips curve up into a sad smile. "You really thought I wouldn't be suspicious after how abruptly you kicked me out when I showed up at your door."

I wince and close my eyes, realizing how bad it sounds now coming from my father's mouth. I know I have hurt him with my words, but his actions in the past have certainly caused more pain to me than what I did.

He speaks again when I look back at him. "You thought I wouldn't be concerned about how my daughter was doing and where she was living." His vision shifts briefly from my face and settles on the ajar door behind me. A look of worry stretches over his face as he walks past me to close it. He then grabs my arm and pulls me away from it towards his desk.

"It took me 2 weeks to know about him. I know everything, and I am planning to take him down. That's why I have been calling you since then." He purses his lips and then lets out a sigh of relief. "You were ignoring my calls, and it was bothering me. I am so glad now that you are here and you are safe." He places his arms over my shoulders and then scans my face worriedly. "I knew something was wrong. You should have told me earlier. How did you get here? When did you get here? He doesn't know about this, right?" He keeps throwing questions at me with a baffled expression on his face. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

I sigh and look at him. "Dad, he is here."

"What?" He questions in shock and drops his hands from my shoulder.

"I brought him with me."

"Are you serious?" He asks in astonishment, and I nod.

"Let me explain everything to you..."

"Do you know what you are saying?" My father raises his voice, and I can see anger taking over his face now. It's strange that he looks really pissed. No matter how rude I have been to him in the past, he never got angry with me. "He is a criminal, Nicole, and you brought him here to our house. Have you lost it?"

"He is not who you think he is. He is not a criminal, dad." I say, feeling a bit offended by how he is reacting.

"Now you are going to defend him? I don't know what is going on." He scoffs.

Before he could speak any further, I state to him boldly. "I am with Christopher..."

From the look of bewilderment on my dad's face, I know he understood what I exactly meant.

He takes a step back and stares at me in distress. "Do you hear yourself? You don't know what you are doing." He then shakes his head in disappointment and whispers. "I knew letting you on your own was a bad idea."

"Dad, I am a grown-up woman capable of making decisions for myself. I am undoubtedly aware of what I am doing." I snap at him angrily, crossing my arms over my chest. "And who are you to judge me when you yourself haven't made such great decisions in your life? At least, I know I would never do something that would disappoint my family."

The room grows silent after I say that, and my dad looks down, feeling ashamed by the accusation I've made against him. I knew it wouldn't be easy for me to convince my dad, but this just seems tougher than what I imagined. It was never on my mind to remind my father of what he did, but what he just said brought all the ugly memories back into my head. I was here just to get help for Christopher, but it seems like we are now drifting away from the topic. I instantly remind myself that it's not the time to dig up the wounds of our broken relationship and fight with my dad. I need him and I can't just blow my only chance at getting help for Christopher.