28.

"It's the police!" Bhavya shouted as she barged into the apartment with her team. "Stand straight or you will be shot!" 

Veer and Roop were taken by surprise and couldn't say anything. He tried to grab the lamp beside him to launch an attack but Bhavya shot at it and toppled it. Another officer did the same. Soon the lamp was full of bullet marks and on the ground. Bhavya screamed again. "I am warning you Veer. Listen to me if you want to walk out of here alive." 

Gone was the docile looking woman that the Oberois knew. Now, she was only a seasoned police officer who was dealing with a criminal. 

"What did you do?" Roop yelled at Tej. 

"Dad!" Bhavya shouted. "Get back right now." 

Silently smirking at Roop, Tej moved out of the line of fire. As he walked towards the back, his eyes fell on Rudra. And for a second, he didn't recognize his son. He was there, behind Bhavya, surprisingly with a gun in his hand. All his life, Tej wanted Rudra to become responsible. For himself. For his family. Seeing him embrace that part of his personality was a bittersweet feeling. 

Just when he was thinking how did Bhavya allow Rudra to be there, Rudra yelled, "Dad!" 

Tej saw Rudra fire at someone. Then he heard a strangled, primitive scream fill the apartment. He didn't get it. But when Tej turned back, Roop was on the ground. Clutching her now bloodied knee, she was howling at the top of her voice. Beside her was the sharp artefact she has raised to throw at Tej. Tej blinked. Rudra had really shot Roop. 

"Aye!" Rudra pulled his gun at Veer and Roop again. "Bola tha, don't move."  

Veer shouted, "I will kill you!" 

"Don't move!" Bhavya shot on Veer's leg too but he moved and the bullet lodged itself on the wall behind him. 

He moved forward and crouched near Roop who was wailing with pain. "Mom! Are you okay?"

Roop cried in his arms. "Veer..."

Seeing the blood on his mother's clothes and the ground, Veer's eyes reddened. Like a hunted animal, he charged towards the police. This time the police got him. They aimed for his leg and shot on his knee as well. 

"DOWN!" an officer yelled. Another pounced on him and hit him with the back of the gun. 

With the elegance of an earthquake hit building, Veer swayed. But he didn't give up. Taking the police officer by surprise, he threw a punch in his gut and then hit his nose with the back of his elbow. 

"Enough!" Rudra shouted. "Stop or else I will blow your brain out!"  

"I am not afraid of you!" Veer still barked. He blindly pushed the centre table towards Rudra and more screams erupted in the room. 

"I am not afraid of you either!" Rudra snarled. Without thinking much, Rudra also kicked the table and it hit straight on Veer's gut. "Tell me where Bhaiya is!" 

"I will never!" Veer laughed through his pain. 

"Handcuff her. Take her into custody!" Bhavya instructed her officers while keeping her gun pointed at Roop all the time. "Close her mouth." 

"Close my mouth but you will never get to Shivaay..." Roop screamed as the officers tied her up. "Even if you get to him, you will never get to see him alive."  

"Shut up!" 

Bhavya turned around to see Annika standing there along with Om. Om had her arms around her like he was shielding her from everything.