A BEAUTIFUL LIFE

The orange glow of a nearby street light seeped in through my parted curtains. I watched as the trees swaying outside my window cast shadows across my floor that reached for me like covetous hands. I knew the unsettling image was a simple manifestation of my nerves; my mind trying to yet again, warn me of what was coming: the dark, horrific, unknown. A place where twisted things lurk, just waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Tossing the covers off me, the floor creaked beneath my weight, chilling the soles of my feet the closer I got to the window. I wasn't superstitious, but in the dead of night before taking the biggest risk of my young life, it was hard not to make ominous signs out of everything. To second guess myself. To forget about diving head first into a new life. To instead, play it safe and stay.

Just before pulling the curtains closed, my hands stilled as I caught sight of frost on the grass glistening. The world outside was painted in a cosmic shade of blue, cast down from the moon that sat high in the vast star-filled sky.

Bright and full.

Now that, was my future.

I marveled at its grandeur then promptly stuck my tongue out at the spindly tree branches before engulfing myself in a much more comfortable darkness.

There was a new day awaiting me and I needed to be ready for it.

A soft shake to my shoulder followed by an even softer melodic voice roused me from my sleep.

"Happy birthday dear Gracie, happy birthday to you!"

The bed dipped down beside me and I opened my eyes, smiling as I was greeted by the beautiful face of my mother. Her eyes shone in a mixture of pride and sadness. Sitting up, I immediately pulled her into a hug. I knew this was hard for her. It was hard for me too, but not like it was for her.

It's always easier being the one to leave as opposed to being the one left behind.

"Are you all packed up?" Mom asked.

I looked around once more and bobbed my head. "The last of it was put in the car yesterday."

Mom took a deep breath and reached over to hold my hand. "Are you sure about this? I can still have Danny drive with you," she offered for the hundredth time.

"Mom," I groaned and pulled away, throwing the covers off of me so I could stand. "I don't need my big brother to babysit me. I'm a grown up now, remember. Today, as a matter of fact."

She nodded her head and stood too, reaching down to help me straighten the linens. "I know, honey. I just.. I'm—"

"Worried," I answered with her. "I know."

I came around the now made bed and pulled her into another hug. "Please, Mom, don't worry. Everything was fine when Danny went off on his own. I'll be fine, too. And I'll be calling you every single night. I promise."

My words seemed to give her little comfort, but she accepted them with a pat on my back. She kissed my cheek before leaving me to get ready for the day.

I picked up the clothes I had set out the night prior: simple grey camo leggings with a white tee layered beneath a black hoodie. I slipped on my grey adidas sneakers as I went to the washroom and by the time I finished the morning routine, I could literally see the eagerness to get on the road sparkling in my blue eyes as I stared at my reflection.

I got my eyes from my mama. Though her's were now a light honeydew green, they were once the same sky blue as mine. I wondered if my own would shift to green as I got older, too. These thoughts of her made me homesick and I hadn't even left my room yet.

Reaping of the Wivesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें