THE ONES TO LIVE

I slowly backed away from Noah, being careful not to make any sudden movements. I lowered the bucket back in its place and clutched the towel and nightgown in a tight grasp.

Noah stood by the door, staring through me as if he was having an inward debate. Finally, with a nod to himself, he crossed the floor and secured the chain around the bed with the padlock. He stood there for another long moment, watching me as I listened to Caleb and Jonah ordering the girls to change into their gowns.

My breathing became erratic at the thought. Being in here nearly naked with him felt even scarier than showering. Sure there were more eyes on us then, but at least I wasn't alone. I quickly berated myself for being so selfish.

Misery truly does love company.

I watched his jaw tighten and relax over and over again, wishing I could tell what he was thinking. What he was planning. I knew what was expected of him, but I was desperately hoping the kinder Noah was standing before me.

I jumped as his voice broke through the silence of the room.

"Come," he said as he pointed to a spot on the floor in front of him.

Slowly, on legs that felt as though they were filled with sand, I made my way toward him but couldn't bring myself to stand as close as he had ordered. I stopped several feet away, breathing shallow breaths, hoping it was close enough.

He reached to take the nightgown from my hands and I fully extended my arm toward him, passing it off. He set it at the head of the bed then faced me once more. He looked deeply into my eyes, wearing that same smoldering mask that I couldn't decipher.

My heart was pounding and my hands began to shake as the metal doors from the other rooms were being opened and then closed. I knew Caleb was going to be standing right outside, listening. Making sure Noah followed through.

"Please don't hurt me," I whispered.

His blue eyes momentarily softened. It was only for a fraction of a second, but I saw it. I pressed on hoping to talk him out of beating me to please them.

"Please, I.. I'll obey you. I will. Just, please don't hurt me."

As I knew it would, Caleb's voice spoke from the hall.

"I know it's cute when they beg, but you need to be firm with her. Your skin upon her skin. It's how most things are meant to be done between husband and wife."

"I know," Noah snapped. His voice low and agitated.

"And I know the sound of genuine submission. She must learn, brother, so if you aren't willing to teach her then I—"

An ear piercing scream interrupted Caleb's rant when Noah suddenly lunged at me. I never knew my voice was capable of reaching such a pitch and I'd never heard fear spill from myself the way it so chillingly reverberated off the walls.

Noah's hands grasped onto my upper arms and I immediately began to thrash to pull myself free, but I only managed to lose my towel. Pure terror engulfed me as I struggled against this man in my naked state; fueling me to fight even harder. Despite my best efforts, he easily walked backward, dragging me along toward the bed. I pushed and kicked and squirmed as I screamed and cried and begged for him to let me go. For him to stop. For him to believe me when I said I would obey and that he didn't have to hurt me.

He spun around and tossed me onto the bed. I landed on my back, feeling the springs pinch into my skin as I bounced from the force he used when he threw me down. Noah advanced toward me but I managed to raise my legs, planting both feet in the center of his chest and pushing with all my strength. He stumbled backward but recovered quicker than I could scramble away. I felt him grab a hold of the chain and pull me back across the bed.