MEANT TO BE MINE

My hands were outstretched and my voice carried on the wind after her, but I was unable to move. Fear anchored me to the ground and the roaring sound of my heartbeat rushing in my ears made me too lightheaded to stand.

We were so close to freedom.

So close.

Why did she run?

Why didn't she listen?

Thomas' voice brought my attention from Ava's small, departing frame and back to him. His rifle was resting securely in his shoulder and his sights were set on Noah with intent.

"I'm gonna tell you something, Noah, and you're gonna do it," Thomas spoke quietly. "You and Grace both are gonna listen, and do as I say, you hear me?"

Noah shook his head, "We are done listening to you."

"DAMNIT, BOY! JUST DO AS I SAY!"

He lowered his rifle and pointed it toward the ground near Noah's feet.

"I want you to scream, and beg for your life and when I fire this gun, you stop. Understand?"

Noah's hand shook as he continued to hold his father at gunpoint.

"Don't listen to him, Noah," I whispered.

"Grace," Thomas snapped, "you're next, so listen close." He looked back to Noah and a slight smile turned his lips up at the edges as Noah lowered his gun. "Good boy. Now do it."

"PAPA, PLEASE, NO! NO, NO DON'T SHOOT! PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME, PLEASE DON—"

Dirt and snow dispersed at Noah's feet like a small IED as a bullet pierced the ground beside him.

"Grace," Thomas spoke low.

I was staring so wide at him, the cold air burned my eyes but I still couldn't bring myself to blink. Terrified if I did, he'd use that split second to take his shot and kill me.

But what he said next wiped every fear away.

They were words that brought forth a sort of comfort. It was a phrase that once, long ago, told me I had an ally. It reminded me of how some of the family painted themselves darker shades than they truly were.

It was Noah's words.

And I trusted them.

"You need to scream now."

So I did. I stood up and screamed, mercilessly begging for my life, loud enough for all to hear. And just as he did with Noah, Thomas silenced my screams with a bullet to the ground at my feet.

When nothing but now melting from the morning sun, falling from the top branches of the pines were all we could hear, Thomas finally spoke.

"You're gonna get in that car, and you're gonna leave."

A tear slid down my cheek and I stepped forward. "But Ava—"

"Ava is free. There's no use for her here. The direction she went, she'll hit the main road in four minutes."

"Why are you doing this?" Noah asked.

Thomas slung the rifle over his shoulder. "Because I don't wanna kill the last blood relative I got and I know if I kill Grace right now, I'd have to kill you first." His voice shook as he lifted his chin, "So I'm warning' you now, you better move on. Hide her well, son, and pray to God I don't change my mind because if I do, there won't be a place on earth that I won't trek to find her."

Noah nodded and began stumbling backwards. He tucked the gun back into his waistband and kept walking back, grabbing my arm and tugging me along with him. We warily got into the car, and the sound of the engine cranking to life made tears run down my cheeks.