Not Without My Sister

Feyre

Mor had gotten back from her diplomatic trip two days before the birth happened. With Cassian and Azriel being busy most days, it was nice to have more of our family back home.

Her return was the only reason Rhys had felt the tiniest bit of relief in leaving me to go visit the day court. He had planned on spending yet another day looking through old manuscripts, books and journals. Desperate to find a solution for our predicament.

"You've already read that," Helion told him countless times.

With stubbornness, Rhys always replied, "I might have missed something."

That day, I was especially tired of being cooped up in the house. I paced back and forth thinking of how my sister was fighting for her life in the blood rite. I should have marched right into those mountains and brought her home. Screw this senseless tradition or whatever nonsense rules that surrounded the Illyrian warriors.

When the news first came, I insisted that Rhysand take me. He protested of course. I was too far long into my pregnancy and Majda had recommended I stay put, preferably in bed. I could hardly go looking for trouble in one of the deadliest challenges there was.

"As if I'm going to take that risk," Rhysand said with a clenched jaw, his hands fisted on either side of him.

I made him believe I had given up on the idea. If he doubted my motivations, he didn't let on. For the rest of the day, I went about my regular activities. It was the middle of the night when I snuck out of our bed. I watched my mate's steady breaths before tip-toeing my way to grab a pair of black leggings and a grey sweater. I braided my hair behind me before walking towards a door at the end of the hall. Behind the door was a weapon room which would serve us in case of an attack. I didn't care much for the swords on the left wall. Azriel and Cassian could have fun with those. My eyes drifted towards my weapon of choice.

The weight of the bow felt familiar in my hand. I hadn't realised how much magic had become a clutch. Though the war ended, my training with the spymaster and the general did not. Up until my pregnancy at least. Never again would I be weak, I had vowed.

Standing in the dark space, I didn't feel like a powerful High Lady. Not a cursebreaker. Not the defender of the rainbow. I was transported back into the body of the helpless human girl I once was. But even that weak and starving human girl had fought, I reminded myself.

Slowly and quietly, I walked out of the house.

A warrior with a round belly. Very threatening indeed.

The first gust of night wind raised goosebumps on my body, causing me to shiver. I pulled on the ends of my sleeves and hid my hands within them for warmth. I barely got past the river when I heard the flapping of wings above me. With a loud thud, my mate landed before me. The night sky darkened the world around us. Yet, his purple eyes glowed furiously.

"Where do you think you're going?" He said under his breath.

"You know where." I began to walk past him, but he raised his wings to block my path. I stumbled back.

"Rhys!" I glared up at him. His only response was to cross his arms.

"What are you planning on doing? Walking the whole way?"

"I've got two feet, don't I? How do you think I used to get around?" I walked around his wings. Before I realised, he grabbed my wrist and spun me around so I'd be looking at him once more.

"Stop this." I felt his distress through the bond as his grip tightened for a moment. He was done arguing. He was pleading with me.

"You told me yourself how dangerous the rite is!" I raised my voice without meaning to. Just as I opened my mouth to fight more, there was a sudden pain in my side. My body bent in a bowing position while I gasped through my teeth.

"Feyre? What is it?," Dread filled his voice.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I tried to stand straight, but the discomfort in my lower back wouldn't allow me.

"That's it. I'm taking you inside." He brought one arm under my knees and the other around my waist. Before he could lift me, I took a step back and forced myself to straighten.

"No."

"Feyre."  I felt his eyes piercing into mine. "Please."

"Please," He repeated when I stayed quiet.

"Are you going to stop me then?" Despite the chill I initially felt when I walked out, my body was suddenly too warm. The ache in my back made it hard to stand.

"I'm not going to stop you from doing anything. If I can't convince you to stay, then I will be with you. I'll fly you over there myself. I won't have you walking. I'm only asking you to think before you act."

"I did think. I'm thinking my sister will be dead before the next sunrise."

"Nesta can bring forth a whole army of dead."

"She doesn't have the mask and she can't use her powers there." 

"Did that ever stop her before? You know your sister better than anyone. She's as stubborn as those Illyrian warriors."

As much as I hated to admit it, he was right about that. Nesta had survived too much to let this be her end.

Rhysand must have taken my silence as a surrender, because he then asked, "Now, may I please pick my mate up and take her to bed? I'll even make her favourite tea if she'd allow me."

"Alright," I whispered and flashed him a smile. His breath caught in his throat. The initial surprise in his eyes was soon replaced by a loving gaze.

"There's the smile I've been waiting for all day," He gently spoke as his hand caressed my cheek. Leaning down, he kissed me. Rhysand let his lips linger against mine and just when I thought my knees were about to give in, he swiftly picked me up and carried me inside.