Not Your Time

Feyre

I was lost in a void.

Nothing but a bright glow surrounded me until my sight adjusted.

Looking down, I saw the illusion of an endless fall. However, my feet felt flat against the invisible surface. Encompassing me was an endless sea of clouds. Rays of orange, pink and purple snuck in between. I reached out my hands towards the vivid colors, thinking I could grab hold.

The only thing I knew was that this wasn't death. I had experienced death when Amarantha snapped my neck.

Whatever this place was, this wasn't it. The only explanation I could think of was that I was clinging to the last bit of life I had left.

Time stood still and voices echoed around me. Though none I could recognize. The sound of a child's laugh mixed with the playful shouts of another. I turned my head as if searching for its source, but again, I found nothing.

My hands instinctively moved to my stomach, but the bump was no longer there.

My heart felt hollow and my arms felt empty of a newborn. At least, there was relief in hoping our son had made it.

"Lost, darling?" I heard a voice say. This one wasn't like the others. It didn't echo in my mind. It was clear, steady and sweet like honey.

"Who's there?" I asked, growing annoyed. It was at that moment that I noticed a dark shadow approaching me.

A shadow with wings.

I took a step back, my feet naturally adjusting themselves into one of the many fighting stances Cassian had taught me.

"Oh, there's no need for that," The woman said and her figure finally came into view. Her dark hair was wrapped up in a low bun, her almond shaped eyes gazing curiously at me.

I stared in shock, dropping my guard when I realised who I had come face to face with.

Rhysand's mother.

"You're-," My words trailed off when I sensed someone else coming.

Then, a young girl appeared from behind, manifesting from thin air. Her raven hair fell to her lower back, framing her golden skin.

It wasn't hard to tell who she was, because she opened her wings proudly as her brother did.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Feyre." When she smiled, I swore I saw Rhysand standing in her place. "Or shall I call you sister-in-law? I always did want a sister. Instead I had to deal with three annoying brothers."

My defenses fell and her comment made me laugh. I knew she must have considered Cassian and Azriel to be family as well. Her mother nudged her, though by the smile on her face I could sense that she agreed with the later statement.

"Sisters have their annoying moments too. Believe me," I responded with a smile of my own.

"There's one more person who would like to see you," Rhysand's mother voiced and lifted her hand to where another frame appeared. This time it was the frame of a man. Tall and skinny, one I recognized immediately.

Tears blurred my visions and with the speed of light, I ran towards my father. My arms wrapped around his neck and to my surprise, he still wore the same scent.

"My baby girl..." His voice cracked as he swept me up in his arms. It took me a moment to realise he wasn't limping or did he need to lean onto something for support. This place had seemed to heal him of his weakness.

"What are you... What are you doing here? Where are we?"

"We call this place the in-between. We don't belong here, but we were granted permission to visit," He said, wiping the tears off my cheeks.

"Visit?"

"Souls can help their loved ones pave their way. To make your decision," The reply came from my mate's mother.

"My decision? You mean-"

"It seems the cauldron is giving you a chance. At life."

"Staying here doesn't seem too bad."

"It is not your time, daughter. I pray it never will be," My father interjected, taking my hands in his and squeezed them.

"I was never the father you deserved. I was a coward. So distracted by my own problems, that I didn't realise the weight of responsibility you had to bear. But you've found a family. You've found joy which is all I could have hoped for."

"My son needs you. All of my sons do." Rhysand's mother placed her hand on my shoulder. It reminded me of the time my own mother made me promise to take care of our family, but this was different. It was a request, a gentle plea.

"My brother is rather helpless without you."

"You're not wrong about that," I teased, looking between all three of them. It would be easy to stay. There was comfort and peace and whatever was waiting for me in the beyond wouldn't be bad. I'd be with my father and Rhysand's family.

But there would be things I'd miss out. As if sensing my hesitation, my father spoke.

"Don't worry about me. I'm alright. I'm happy. Your mate's family keeps me plenty company."

Again, I heard a familiar voice.

I love you, Feyre.

"What was that? Did you hear that?"

I took a step back and turned, trying to see where it came from.

"It's your calling. It's your decision to listen to it or ignore it," My mate's mother told me, stepping away to let me make my choice.

I love you, Feyre.

There was no longer any doubt in my mind. As much as I wanted to stay with them, I had to return home. Once my decision was clear, I felt weightless. When I looked down at my fading body, I knew I was leaving.

"Tell my brother I said hi," Rhysand's sister chimed before I was stripped from that world.

I love you, Feyre.

That same bright glow flashed before my eyes, their faces vanishing from my view.

When I woke, I was blinded by another sort of light. This time it felt real. It was warm and tender. It was the rays of dawn shining on me.

There were arms wrapped about me, but not those of my mate. It was an unfamiliar embrace, one I never let myself hope to have.

I looked down to my sister and whispered, "I love you too."