Then Dawn Came

Feyre

His smile might have been one to fool me, but his eyes betrayed him. Rhysand leaned against the doorway, arms crossed.

"You're late," I breathed.

"I've always enjoyed a good entrance," He pointed out and the memory of him crashing my wedding with Tamlin came to my mind. He pushed himself off the wall. Elegantly, he began to make his way to me.

"No thunder or lightning today?"

"You should see the mess I made downstairs."

My laugh must have indicated the pain I felt, because Rhysand wasted no time getting to my side. He failed to keep up his charade any longer as the smirk he wore fell. Once my mate sat down on the seat by our bed, he took my hand in his. His lips placed kisses along the back and over each knuckle.

"I'm just glad I didn't get a shoe to the head today." I felt his breath tingling against my skin.

"I still can't believe you didn't annihilate me on the spot."

"You were my responsibility. I take care of what's mine."

"Is that why you sent me to face the weaver alone?" I raised my brow challengingly and finally managed to get a laugh out of him.

"Cassian called me an idiot plenty of times because of that," He said before leaning in to kiss me gently.

Everyone had left the room to give us some privacy. That's how we spent our time. We tried to fill the silence with memories and teasing, but there was a heavy veil surrounding us. The weight of the truth we were ignoring.

I wanted to tell him that he didn't need to be strong for me. Searching my brain, I tried to find any words of reassurance I might have. Except, there was nothing I could say.

With every passing contraction, I squeezed his hand. If I hurt him, he didn't lead on. Firmly, the father of my child held onto me.

"Feyre. Feyre. Feyre."

He called my name over and over again like a prayer.

"I'm here. I'm here," I repeated to him every time. Majda came and left every so often, checking to see how far along I was. I hadn't started to push yet, but already the pain was becoming intolerable. As the sands of time slipped, I grew more anxious about our missing family members.

"Nesta... Is she still at the rite?," I asked Mor when she finally made an appearance again.

"There's no news on her. I can't get in touch with Cassian or Azriel either, but I'll get them here," Mor promised me while squeezing Rhysand's shoulder.

"I want everyone to be here," I whispered, worried that I wouldn't see them again.

Leaning his forehead against mine, my mate whispered, "They will be. Don't worry." His hand stroked my cheek before his lips planted a kiss on my forehead.

Rhysand

Majda would do her best. Feyre was strong. She had magic from all seven High lords. No female with that kind of strength had ever carried an Illyrian baby. Feyre would be the exception to the rule. Feyre would live. My beautiful mate would live.

I repeated those words in my mind like a mantra. The hours went by too fast, yet too slowly. 

"It's almost time."

I heard the dreadful words come out of Majda's mouth. Her voice was filled with regret and her eyes spoke of the truth no one dared to mention.

 Dawn was meant to bring hope. Each day a fresh new canvas to be painted, but as the stars were replaced by hues of orange and red, alarm set through me.

Born on the longest night, my mate would be dying at the hands of dawn.