13. wrinkled

Ryan's convertible parked into Chad's front lawn. This was bad. This was going to be bad. It took every ounce of strength he had in his body for Chad not to shit himself and combust but instead get out of the car. Ryan was already waiting for him in front of the door, staring back with a confused look, so Chad finally struggled to pull himself to the entrance of his own house.

The problem he had with his mom and sisters seeing Ryan so much, and specifically in such a setting, wasn't the fear of possible homophobia towards his friend or skepticism from the little elementary school girls he was living with. He was scared of the gossip. His family had always had this way of spectacularly ruining every human interaction he had with people his age with littles "oooh is this your girlfriend?" or "are you and -blank- going on a date?" and to think that this time he actually liked the guy? Terrifying.

Chad finally decided to ring his doorbell, and it took his mom less than five seconds to open the door.

"Oh Ryan! What a pleasant surprise, come in!" Ryan smiled brightly and made his way into the living room. He did love being a mama's boy.

"So, what brings you boys here? Are you two going on a da-"

"WE ARE GOING TO RYAN'S HOUSE ACTUALLY. DINNER WITH HIS PARENTS. AND SHARPAY."

"Oh, I see, so an official date." She chuckled.

Both of the teens decided to pretend they didn't hear the snarky remark and immediately headed to Chad's bedroom, Ryan still said his goodbyes and thanked for the hospitality though, he was a gentleman after all.

Ryan was now standing in front of Chad's open closet, a hand on his hip and the other rubbing his chin. He walked into the closet to take a better look at what he was working with, while Chad, sitting on his bed, decided to make the unfunniest joke ever:
"This the first time you've been in the closet in years man! Congrats."

Ryan turned around with a murder inducing grin. "That was the shittiest fucking joke I've ever heard." He started laughing so hard he had to hold his stomach with his arms.

Chad smiled.
Smiling at someone laughing is one of the weirdest things in the world. You're not smiling for a picture or because you saw a cute dog on the street, you're smiling at the pure reaction of laughter from another human. And realizing that you're smiling at someone laughing as you're doing it? It's even weirder. But Chad brushed it off.

Ryan went back to his closet diving and came out 2 minutes later with a bright smile on his face and a pair of black pants and a white botton up in his hands. He waited outside for Chad to try them on and when he came back in the room he let out a pleased "aaah!"

"You look great in these! Much more elegant." He nodded.

"Ooh Evans! I look eLeGaNt?" Chad swayed his arms around and started making fake kissing sounds as he chased the blonde down the stairs.

"Stop! You're gonna get your pants wrinkled Chad!" Ryan laughed out as he jumped behind the couch in the living room.

"How about I get you wrinkled you fucking DUMBASS!" Chad tried imitating Ryan's move but ridiculously tripped and fell face first onto the ground beside Ryan. Guess jumping also takes some game.

Ryan laughed "so I'm the dumbass here uh?"

Chad was quick to laugh too, now laying on his back with his legs still on the back of the couch. Ryan gave him his hand and helped him stand up, then swiped his hands on the other's shirt.

"I told you they would get wrinkled."

Chad was laughing so sheepishly that he didn't have the guts to tell him he actually looked like a homeless bartender. That was how Sharpay described Troy's last year prom look, and that actually reminded he had to text his sister.

-hey Shar

-hey Ry what's up? xoxo

-Chad's having dinner with us tonight, tell the chef please

-what.
-Ryan are you actually kidding me.
-you're gonna let that HOOLIGAN have dinner with mommy and daddy?????
-??????
-Ryan??!!?!??
-Ryan respond NOW!!!!

Ryan turned off his phone.

Now that Chad was all prepped up, they said goodbye to the Danforth family and headed to the car again. As Ryan started the engine, he felt he had to ask a question.

"Hey.. uhm... how come I've never seen your dad?"Chad's smile muted into a serious expression.

"I-I mean, you absolutely don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I'm so sorry for getting up in your business oh my gosh I-"

"It's fine." Chad turned to him and gave him a smile of reassurance.

"He just. Hasn't been around. And with 'hasn't been around' I mean dead."

"Oh God. I'm so sorry Chad."

He reached out to him with his hand, as to give him something to hold on to. And Chad did hold his hand. They fell into silence. And next thing they knew they arrived to their destination.

A/n
Short chapter AGAIN lol I'm sorry sorryyyyy I promise it's not that bad keep reading